 Marketplace / Theory / 2660
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 03:09:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:
Also one can watch how various highly desirable and limited production AFOL
items such as the bulk color packs or the Maersk sets have sold to get
insight on the total market of buyers. Hint: the production runs have only
been in the tens of thousands and none of these items has sold out overnight
or even within a month.

There are a lot of factors that should be considered there, though.  Even many
LUGNET users weren't sure which bulk packs were the old colors and which were
the new, and it was really only publicized here on LUGNET, so it's unlikely that
any closet AFOLs were even aware that they'd been produced at all, much less
which ones they should be buying, and it's possible that many people skipped
them because it's cheaper to buy the specific bricks they need on Bricklink
rather than buy large quantities of bulk mixed packs in order to get the
individual pieces they actually need.

The Maersk ship was quite expensive, and I know at least a few MichLUG members
who were drooling over them, but didn't have the money to buy any.  I didn't
really have any pressing interest in buying one regardless of the cost because
it wasn't part of a theme that I collect, and I don't really have any specific
use for the parts.  I'm sure there were others who felt the same way.
Conversely, the ISD was billed as the best-selling set at LEGO S@H during its
first full year of release, and it's the most expensive set they've ever sold to
the general public (there's a corporate seminar+bricks that I believe runs about
$10,000, but...), which largely rules out the likelihood that many kids were
ordering them with their allowances.