 Marketplace / Theory / 2667
Re: Fed UP!!!!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:35:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Chris Phillips wrote:

fans.  And be careful about assuming that all AFOLs are LUGNET members.

That's never been my assumption, but it's a good place to start. While all
Lugnet members are AFOLs, not all of them would qualify in my book as "serious
AFOLs". I should also clarify that my definition of "serious AFOL" is probably
different than most. Serious AFOLs in my book are adults that are both
passionate about the details and nuances of this hobby and also spend
considerable amounts of money on it. In other words adults who care about what
TLC does and have the financial resources to be some kind of measurable factor.
There are a lot more adults out there that fall into one category or the other,
but not necessarily both.

For instance my brother owns all the original trilogy Star Wars sets. He is an
adult who has spent a good amount of money buying Lego. On the other hand I
don't think of him as a "serious AFOL". In fact, I don't even consider him as an
AFOL at all. He's more of a simple collector. Lego isn't really a hobby for him.
He doesn't really care about what TLC does, what sets they release (even Star
Wars stuff - he just buys what they make), he has no interest in LUGs, color
changes, train shows, or even talking about Lego with others. We rarely ever
talk about Lego. He just collects the SW sets, enjoys building them and puts
them on a display shelf. If I held up a new and old dark gray brick and said I
know of people who are stressed out about the difference between these two
colors he'd think I was completely nuts. (Well ok, he's seen my Lego room - he
already thinks I'm nuts!) I know a woman that is the same way. She's a big Star
Wars fan and has bought some Star Wars sets to hang from her ceiling. But again
for the same reasons, I don't consider her an serious AFOL either.

I can believe there are a lot of adults out there like this. Especially with the
Mindstorm stuff too. But I have a more difficult time believing there are huge
numbers of "serious AFOLs" as I have previously defined the term. Isn't that the
context of what we have been talking about in this thread? The "Golden 5%" -
Adults for whom the color change (and other TLC policies) actually mean
something and also have enough financial stake in the hobby to have some sort of
effect on TLC.

Spencer