 Marketplace / Theory / 206
Re: Honest Capitalism (Was Re: DYA -> eBay 8880 money-making scheme)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:15:46 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

In lugnet.market.theory, John Neal writes:

Richard Franks wrote:

Well... in an/my ideal world(tm), everyone would get a fair share for each
set, at or near its retail value. Theoretically we could do this using a
Lugnet-based selling system that would favour a person who didn't already
have that set. And in an ideal world that person wouldn't turn around and
sell it for a huge markup on EBay.

I am really amazed by your post.  Ideal world?  Don't you mean "heaven"
because *nothing* like that will *ever* exist here on earth!

a) I made it obvious that it was a description of *my* idea of an ideal system.

Wouldn't it be better than just to have said: "Wouldn't it be great if we all had
enough money to buy every Lego set there ever was?" Or "wouldn't it be great to
have a Lego replicator?" Then I would have known you were in the realm of
fantasy.  And that's fun to do.  But when you started talking about bizarre
systems to make it possible in the real world you lost me.

b) I pointedly described some of the problems with this.
c) The first step towards making something better is to know where you want to
   go. If you believe that it is "heaven" then please don't begrudge one post
   that pondered how to get there. I don't believe that it is impossible,
   unlikely perhaps, but I don't see why I shouldn't think about it.

I'm not begrudging you and your desires-- we all wish we could have more Lego and
more time to play with it.

Please think through what you are saying.  Nobody sells things on Ebay "marked
up".  It is an *auction*. Whoever wants it the most will get it--  how can
that be anymore fair?

Whoever has the most money. That is intrinsically not fair. That is my opinion.

You have the right to your opinion, Richard, but I want you to think about what
you just said.  How could it be any fairer?  Remember, equal is not fair.  We all
could make the exact amount of money (fair?) and have an auction.  Would it be
fair then?

Are you just bitter because there are others who want something more than
you?

No. Am I bitter because others have more money than I do - No.
Do we have a different definition of fair - Yes.

What *is* your definition of fair?  I am honestly interested in what you have to
say.

You could get around that by making Lugnet members enter into a legal
obligation not to resell Lugnet-sold sets, use Lugnet as a hub, and ID the
box somehow. There are lots of issues with this, feasibility, personal
rights  etc, but it would mean that I could afford that 6277 I've always
dreampt of, mutilated box or not :)  Oh - and it would be fair!

This is total and complete nonsense.  If you *really* want a 6277, go the
distance man!

This isn't almost about me wanting a 6277, or any other set.

Seriously then, what is it about?

But puleeze remember this:  LIFE ISN'T FAIR period.

Do you seriously believe that it isn't worth trying to make things more fair?
Even if at first you believe that it isn't possible?

You *can't* make life more fair.  We are all different.  That is good, not bad.
Is a person being born blind not fair?  How can you make their life more fair?
What about gender?

Don't try to impose some insane system to try and make it that way!

a) It was a work of imagination, put onto Lugnet so that others could consider
   it. Nowhere did I say it *should* be done, or try to impose it.
b) If you think that it is insane, then please suggest ways to improve. But
   please respect my opinions and feelings, and I will respect yours.

I'm sorry if I came off as jumping down your throat, but you hit a hot button that
perhaps you didn't intend.  As Lar said, this can make for good debate fodder, and
perhaps I would even defend your side (to some extent), but I think I see that you
were just speculating idly and not trolling.  No hard feelings:-)

-John

Richard