 Marketplace / Shopping / 1211
  TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Third possibility: They are clueless. ;) Just because a computer is capable of something doesn't mean the minimum wage slaves in front of it know. A manager on the other hand, pretty much HAS to know. I happen to know (via a TRU 'friend' of my (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) and they told me the same thing. Do you think it's possible that someone at TRU, if they wanted to, could tell us when the new sets will be on shelves? My reasoning is thus- 1. A TRU buyer went to ToyFare and ordered x number of sets. 2. Lego (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) get about 5 trucks a week. For all practicial purposes the people on the salesfloor have NO idea whats on the truck thats unloaded everynight. Sure thers a way to find out, IF I have the numbers for it, *AND* have 15-30 minutes to dig around (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

<A SNIPPING WE WILL GO> (...) Don't Lego employees, or at least contracted employees of Lego, stock the Lego aisle at TRU? Wouldn't this mean that the regular TRU worker really doesn't have any idea of when the Lego sets will be stocked. They may be (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) I've seen blue-vested TRU employees pull Lego pallets out and stock them before with my own eyes. Chris (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Yes. The system MUST have that capability, and it must be accessable. TRU would not have become the monolithic chain it has without inventory controls and excellent tracking capabilities. However, it is also possible, (even likely) that the (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) opposite. Since most customers are looking for a particular item it is very useful for the floor workers to be able to access what is in stock or when it is expected in. Then again the toy store industry is a far cry from the retail field I (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) So the $64k question is, kids: We can probably assume from what you guys have said that SOMEONE in the TRU corporation, not necessarily someone at a store, could, if they wanted to (and you'd think they would- we're going to spend a LOT of (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Oh the folks in the stores can find out. But practically speaking, it's not worth their time. Because, well, you're going to buy them regardless of when they hit the shelf, right? So unless you know someone, or can convince someone, to hunt (...) (25 years ago, 16-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) My (...) warehouses, (...) Well LEGO has manufacturers reps that vist many retailers to check on stock levels, placement, appearance and such tasks. They will take and fill the shelves if they are not full(and sometimes if they are!) if the (...) (25 years ago, 17-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) friend (...) when (...) not (...) something, (...) and (...) minutes (...) at (...) Millenium (...) have (...) able (...) Still, don't you think that if they really cared they would take the time to tell you the best possible thing to make you (...) (25 years ago, 17-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Hey Chris, How's about we kidnap this person's (insert identity of object of affection) and force them to sleep on BURPs 'till the person(s) give us what we want. Information. Who is Number One? (25 years ago, 17-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Amen! It's not that I can't wait for the sets, and it's not that I won't buy them when they hit the shelves. It's more more of a principle thing. I LOVE these huge stores, I LOVE their low prices, I HATE their quality of service (minimum wage (...) (25 years ago, 17-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

Let me tell you about computers.... Don't ever trust them... ever ! <short story> a few weeks back I visited a certain TRU. I noted that they had two 6335 Indy Transports on the shelf. On that particular day, I was not thinking 'Town', so I just (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) They may have been returns or exchanges. I could easily see these not getting back into stock. (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Which goes directly to my point, the numbers in an online inventory system (for anything smaller than autos or rocket ships) should always be viewed with some expectation of being off a little. All those computer-based inventories for TRUs, (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) I used to work at a bookstore, and we had that problem all the time. There were times when the inventory said 0, or -1 and we had one sitting on the shelf. There were also plenty of times when the inventory said 1 or 2 and we couldn't find it (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) You guys remember the Child World/Children's Palace chain that I think died out about 9 years ago (That's the last time I remember seeing one). They were great for so many reasons. They got some weird import toys in, actually marked their (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Child World really was a great store it was my favorite toy store growing up. I think one of the reasons you found so much old stuff in 1990 though was probably because they were hurting finacially and were emptying their warehouses. Like (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) As do I. I know they had a much better selection of LEGO sets than anyone, TRU looked like and still does a garbage store compared to them. They had a lot of sets that were not anywhere else, I do not know if they were from Europe or whatever, (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

In lugnet.market.shopping, Scott Edward Sanburn writes: TRU seems to be a collection of dim-witted (...) Yeah. As I said earlier, I have a serious love/hate relationship with TRU. Love the selection in one place, and they are the only game in town. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Emphasis on the final sentence... (...) And *THAT* is an argument against minimum wage. I feel that as the minimum wage has went up, and as we've had labor shortages galore, the people we have working for minimum wage or just above in the (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) I remember once a couple years back they were advertising for holiday help, and I joked with a cashier that I should work there just to get the employee discount. Well, there is no employee discount! (or at least there wasn't back then) I've (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) That is funny, I have noticed that as well, in numerous places, where the people act like it is a right to have a job. The Meijer that I am working for at my second job is that way. The teenagers there do nothing as baggers, and they had to (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Some do, some don't. Consider it a benefit. Meijer's offers a 10% Merchandise discount coupon every now and then, no groceries. When I worked at Best Buy, you got an employee discount, but you didn't have a straight percentage, it was anywhere (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) Yep. The current problems with incompetent low-brow labor have nothing to do with minimum wage, and everything to do with the job market. Employers have to hire anybody they can, and the situation is clearly demonstrating that not just anybody (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) to (...) just (...) Here's a customer service horror story for you that has nothing to do with minimum wage. I'm at the airport in Scranton waiting in line at the ticket counter behing about four other people. There is ONE agent behing the (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)

(...) How do you know it was *personal*? Maybe I need to *start* flying C*mmair! ;-) -John (...) (25 years ago, 20-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)