 Local / Australia / 12687
Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:25:23 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:
Let's go on the basis, If we build it they will come !
If We want it to happen, it Will !
When the time is right, it will happen !
So let's start planing Now , and keep this subject going.
Don't let this subject die ,this time ,as it has in the past.
OK, we are all enthuasiastic, good! Now, we need to convert enthuasiasm into
action. As the saying goes, "when all is said and done, more is said than
done!" :-)
So, let us test the strength of our enthusiasm with these two questions:
Q1. Who will volunteer to take charge of organising the event?
It might be one person or a group of people, but somebody has to take charge
and drive this train. Note, I am not asking "are you willing to help?". I am
sure lots of people are willing to help, but that is a lesser commitment
than taking charge. And without somebody to take charge, nothing happens.

Yes. I will stand up.
I have attendend all three national meets, have hosted/organised several local
meets and have been a participant in Loc/Au soon after it's inception. I am a
resident of Sydney, one of the proposed venues for the meet. I am currently
working full time in retail but have free time to donate to this cause. I'm
comfortable with the possiblity of approaching LEGO Australia and have met some
of their sales representatives already (although not in this context).
There may be other candidates for organiser, if so excellent! Either I'll defer
to their experience/skills I'd suggest a vote in this forum. Or if a quorum are
happy to support my assuming this role, that'd be great too.

Q2. How many of us are prepared to show their support for an Australian
Brickfest by offering (say) $100 up front towards the costs of organising
it?
While it is nice to imagine that some generous sponsor is out there
somewhere, realistically we probably need to be prepared to front the costs
ourselves. This money would be given to the organisers to meet the up-front
costs of the event. The money would be given as a loan in the hope that it
would be repaid from the income from the event, but with the clear
understanding, that if the event could not be held or it did not generate
much income, that part or all of the money might not be repaid. So, you have
to be prepared to risk that money. I have not done any calculations
whatsoever on the up-front costs of organising the event, so the figure of
$100 is just plucked from the air, as an amount small enough to be
affordable to many of us yet large enough to test our commitment.
So, everyone, what are your answers to these two questions?

I work full time, a commitment of this scale is possible.

I have three questions for this community.

1. Brickfest started with 60 people and few public attendees and took 4 years to
grow to the fest we all admire. Whilst 200 attendees and 1600 public vistors is
a worthy goal; Are loc/au'ers going to be dissappointed with a smaller scaled
event?

2. Brickfest draws from the commited core of American builders who have
significant brick resources to build with, consequently their creations are
suitably impressive. Few people in Australia have comparable collections. Are
loc/au'ers going to be dissappointed with a meet featuring less grandiose
creations?

3. Brickfest is coordinated by an individual but there is significant delegation
in terms of events and theme rooms. Are there individuals here who, whilst they
feel uneasy about organising, would commit to assisting in a particular theme?
Some suggestions are
Trains/Town
Technic/Mindstorms
Castle/Pirates
Space/More Space

James (who is excited at the thought of meeting 100 AFOLS all at once)

I have just spoken to a couple of 'large' all-type of event organisers who
offered some advice.  These are the things discussed:

First of all, a huge and one main issue (apart from finding an actual venue
itself)

- PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE (this can cost up to $8,000 and some times more,
depending on the situation and the Insurance Broker).  Also the venue *MAY* if
we are lucky, have it's own PLI already covered for anyone 'hiring it', I know
we bumped into these issues back in June 2002 in the Brisbane Nat Meet.

- CATERING if we involve ourselves in this then we have even more issues to deal
with, not to mention cleaning and maybe a few extra costs on ourside.

- BUDGET one that is obvious to us and a little unknown exactly at this stage

- VENUE HIRE as above + what is can offer us, do we need to hire extras?
furniture/utilities/wall stands-divers/separate rooms/toilets (and is there
enough for what we may need?) etc

- COSTS do we know how much to charge and will it be enough to cover everything
we possibly will need? what will we do if we run out and what will we do if we
have left overs?

- INVITES/ADVERTISING the costs involved and getting them distributed

- ORG REPS/SPEAKERS and everything involved with setting up etc

- DISPLAYS and whatever is needed for this

- CATERING (if needed)

- COMMONSENSE ;) of course...

But the Lady I spoke to said these are the main issues the rest is just whatever
we want and we put into it...

I am about to head home from work now, so I apologise if I have forgotten
something here...

Thanks

Mel