 Local / Australia / 12654
Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 05:10:26 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Travis Matheson wrote:
   Hiya all.

I’m just looking to spark some discussions about the idea of a Brickfest style meet in Australia. When the idea was first floated there were some good ideas, but that all seems to have stopped now. If we were to have one I would think that we have about a Year, maybe less to organise it.

So. Were shall we begin...

(Leaving aside the question of whether there are enough fans in oz to have something that is truly ‘brickfest style.)

Find someone to finance it. You need someone to be banker, someone to write cheques, someone to quote a credit card number etc etc. And that someone will need to take on a reasonable liability. They *may* make a profit...but may not.

Once the finance is secure, the fun stuff can be planned.

Who could the finance it?
  • A wealthy (and benevolent?) Lego fan
  • A club (but they had better be incorporated...)
  • A company (Lego Australia?)
This does sound harsh, but without the finance, I really don’t think it’s worth going any further. Maybe a survey of would you come/how much would you pay (for a 1 day/2 day etc fest), and how far would you travel might help convince a financier, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Far better, I think, to stick with the national pub or hall meets we’ve had to date. And even those take a bit of organising, and a bit of financing.

But if Brickfest Downunder does happen, I’ll be there.

Richie Dulin