 Local / Australia / 12668
Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:44:38 GMT

As far as how to pull off a BrickFest type event the obivious expert is
Christina.

Yes, we probably need to chat with her and pick her brains on a host of
topics.

Personally, I am not concerned about the logistics of the event itself. We
organise large and small conferences at work all the time with budgets in
the $10K-$200K range, so I know how to do just about everything. But of
course we do that with an individual whose job it is to champion the event
and an organisation to underwrite the finances, which is why I am more
nervous about these two issues.

My other concern about an Oz Fest is attendance numbers. In particular how
many people will travel from interstate. Our previous national meets were
predominantly attended by people from the host city, as people just weren't
prepared to outlay the cost of airfares etc. Clearly we have a smaller
population base than North America (< 10%) to draw on, so I doubt it's
realistic to expect 300 people to attend an OzFest, but can we get say 100+?
Obviously the longer the lead time for planning the event, the more time
people have to put it in their diaries and start thinking about putting
aside money for travel etc. But true "national" support for such an event
remains an issue.

Kerry