 Local / Australia / 12667
Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:21:58 GMT

What's the minimum commitment we need to get before considering going
foward?

Well, if an organiser steps forward, I'd say as much as that person thinks
they need to do it :-)

It's a kind of chicken-and-egg situation. Without knowing how big an event
it is going to be planned to be, it's hard to say what we need to spend
up-front. So how much we have up front may be a limiting factor on how big
the event can become. But on the other hand, if the thing builds momentum,
getting more up-front money becomes easier, whether it be from advance
ticket sales or sponsorship.

Richie & Mel, as organisers of the Sydney & Brisbane Fests, what would you
estimate were the up-front cost for these events, as that would represent a
lower bound.

It's not exactly a similar event but our recent 2-day symposium at work for
about 60 people cost us about $13K all up, but there was probably about $4K
in airfares and accommodation in that, which would not be expenses that an
OzFest would need to cover. There was also catering in that too (2 lunches,
4 tea breaks, 1 dinner, 2 drinks sessions, coffee on arrival) which probably
isn't applicable either, but unfortunately it is difficult to split venue
cost from catering cost, as many venues offer room/catering packages so it's
hard for me to price the room components individually.

But the things that are likely to cost us are (from the larger ones to the
smaller ones)

* venue (space and furniture/equipment)
* catering (if any)
* insurance (to be avoided if possible, may be dependent on venue)
* additional furniture/equipment hire (e.g. furniture, beamer for
presentation, depends on venue)
* promotional material and advertising
* gifts, prizes, merchandising

For venue, we are probably looking for something with both good parking and
public transport links. Central but not so central that traffic/parking
hassles become a problem. Close to selection of food outlets.

I don't think being near a Lego retail outlet is particularly important, as
the retail offerings between the larger Australian cities don't vary that
much anyway, so I don't see retail shopping as being a major drawcard for
people to attend. What might be a major drawcard would be availability of
something like PickABrick or items not sold retail in this country, but that
either involves getting Lego themselves to be involved, or we have to buy
from S@H or similar in advance and take the risk of not being able re-sell
at the event. Similarly, if we had enough people interested in selling older
sets or parts packs etc.

To be successful, we do needs lots of MOCs/sets to display and lots of sets
to buy/sell and lots of Lego for competitions (e.g. timed ISD builds!). This
means we need to investigate ways to get this stuff transported to the
venue, both from locally and from interstate. If we leave this up to the
individuals to organise for themselves on the day, we will not get as much
stuff as we want for a good event. So we may need to investigate freight
options and temporary storage in the host city etc so that some of the stuff
can be pre/post-transported.

Kerry