 Local / Australia / 12713
Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:32:13 GMT

And an insert in the World Club magazine would be interesting...

I think an insert in the World Club magazine could be a big mistake.

World Club magazine would reach a lot of kids. So before going down that
particular road, we probably need to think whether the event is intended to
cater for kids and, if so, in what way.

Now, of course, kids come in a number of flavours (I like the choc-coated
ones personally!).  In particular, there is a difference between the kids of
AFOLs attending and kids more generally.

Late high school kids are probably more-or-less similar to adults in their
Lego interests, but are likely to be more cash strapped which impacts on
budget analysis on ticket prices and merchandising. Such kids might wish to
attend the event on their own (i.e. without parents). We may need to
consider if the presence of "children" without a supervising adult is a
public liability issue.

Primary school age kids and younger are probably not similar to adults in
their Lego interests, and would probably need separate activities. If we
were to actively promote the event to children in this age group, I think we
might get a lot of interest (look at the popularity of Lego's own shows)
*but* it would probably skew the event substantially to one aimed at kids,
which may well be a turn-off for our adult audience.

Personally I believe this is an event primarily for adults and mature
"teens". We may have to provide some activities for younger kids
accompanying their parents, but I don't think we want to promote the main
event generally to kids without AFOL parents.

Obviously if we decide to have a display open to the public, then it would
be appropriate to promote that part of the event more generally to kids,
e.g. through World Club magazine.

Kerry