 Local / Australia / 12665
Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:11:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:
Let's go on the basis, If we build it they will come !
If We want it to happen, it Will !
When the time is right, it will happen !
So let's start planing Now , and keep this subject going.
Don't let this subject die ,this time ,as it has in the past.

OK, we are all enthuasiastic, good! Now, we need to convert enthuasiasm into
action. As the saying goes, "when all is said and done, more is said than
done!" :-)

So, let us test the strength of our enthusiasm with these two questions:

Q1. Who will volunteer to take charge of organising the event?

It might be one person or a group of people, but somebody has to take charge
and drive this train.

It needs to be an individual or a formal organisation. A group of helpers is
nice, but someone needs to be accountable for the 'seed funding' and its
allocation.

Q2. How many of us are prepared to show their support for an Australian
Brickfest by offering (say) $100 up front towards the costs of organising
it?

In principle, I'd put up $100. But subject to my comments below.

This money would be given to the organisers

'The organisers' is this as individuals? A partnership? Some sort of
incorporated body?

to meet the up-front costs of the event.

And who decides what constitutes an upfront cost of the event? The 'organisers'?
The $100 contributors?

The money would be given as a loan in the hope that it
would be repaid from the income from the event, but with the clear
understanding, that if the event could not be held or it did not generate
much income, that part or all of the money might not be repaid.

So, you have to be prepared to risk that money.

And the organisers would have to be prepared to risk holding that money. Do not
underestimate the moral responsibility of holding other's money. I've been a
voluntary treasurer before, and I've worked on the principle that I wouldn't
hold more money than I would be prepared to repay without hesitation. (I've
never lost money I was holding though).

I have not done any calculations
whatsoever on the up-front costs of organising the event, so the figure of
$100 is just plucked from the air, as an amount small enough to be
affordable to many of us yet large enough to test our commitment.

$100 is a whole lot less than many of us would pay in airfares and accom to
attend such an event. But $100 doesn't go far, unless you're multiplying it by
*a lot*.

What's the minimum commitment we need to get before considering going foward?

Cheers

Richie Dulin