 Local / Australia / 12653
  Australian Nation Meet, 2005

Hiya all. I'm just looking to spark some discussions about the idea of a Brickfest style meet in Australia. When the idea was first floated there were some good ideas, but that all seems to have stopped now. If we were to have one I would think that (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) (Leaving aside the question of whether there are enough fans in oz to have something that is truly 'brickfest style.) Find someone to finance it. You need someone to be banker, someone to write cheques, someone to quote a credit card number (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

I agree with all the issues Richie is raising. However, the existence of BrickFest proves it is possible, so let us work out how they do it ... I checked out the BrickFest WWW site and found this rather informative document: (URL) shows that over 4 (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Well I don't have the actual final numbers, but 283 people signed up to attend BrickFest 2004, I know a few couldn't end up making it, but then a few others registered at the door. On the public day we had 1550 (or some) people visit, which (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Well what ever we do, feel free to get me to do any design work and advertising, as I run a design company in sydney. Another thing which might benefit, is trying in some way to get together a data base of names and contacts together of anyone (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Hello All, Let's go on the basis, If we build it they will come ! If We want it to happen, it Will ! When the time is right, it will happen ! So let's start planing Now , and keep this subject going. Don't let this subject die ,this time ,as (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) OK, we are all enthuasiastic, good! Now, we need to convert enthuasiasm into action. As the saying goes, "when all is said and done, more is said than done!" :-) So, let us test the strength of our enthusiasm with these two questions: Q1. Who (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

Good questions, Kerry! :-) Well, I shall stand up and be counted ... (...) Not me. I am willing to help but not to take charge. (...) Yes, I would be willing to put up $100. Kerry (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Well considering I'm not an Aussie, no... (...) But yes, I would be willing to put up $100 as well, just to see such an event take off. Janey "Red Brick" (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Been there (wargames), now I'm organisered out but I'll help if I can. (...) I see the $100, as an up front payment/seed money. Any proceeds back to such people who have paid, up to the $100. In the event of a profit, put into an account to (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) I would be happy to be part of a team, but I think this needs a few more (maybe a team of 4? someone from QLD, NSW and VIC and SA?... etc), where we can converse through either phone/email and maybe some kind of chat program.. MSN etc... just (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) It needs to be an individual or a formal organisation. A group of helpers is nice, but someone needs to be accountable for the 'seed funding' and its allocation. (...) In principle, I'd put up $100. But subject to my comments below. (...) 'The (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) I for one would not necessarily be willing to donate $100 cash to the event, but would be glad to donate $100 worth of free namebadges and/or engraved trophies/etc, to help see defray the costs of the event. As far as how to pull off a (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) foward? Well, if an organiser steps forward, I'd say as much as that person thinks they need to do it :-) It's a kind of chicken-and-egg situation. Without knowing how big an event it is going to be planned to be, it's hard to say what we (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Yes, we probably need to chat with her and pick her brains on a host of topics. Personally, I am not concerned about the logistics of the event itself. We organise large and small conferences at work all the time with budgets in the $10K-$200K (...) (20 years ago, 28-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

Good questions, Kerry! (...) Not me, for sure. I'd assume it would have to be someone from the host city. (...) Me, but probably not much more than $100. Michael (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) • There were phone calls to find where we can even hold the event. That took a few calls, I can't remember how many, but I do recall calling several places. There was the badges that I made/paid for, a few things printed out. Basically we got (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

I have made up a dummy page showing an example of some of the similar things we will come across when organising such an event, it's not really to reflect our own, but it's a basic guide to show where we are going and where we are at. It's not (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) Yes. I will stand up. I have attendend all three national meets, have hosted/organised several local meets and have been a participant in Loc/Au soon after it's inception. I am a resident of Sydney, one of the proposed venues for the meet. I (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

Hello All, OZ LUGS, I'm very happy to help, In the organizing of the TRAINS area. For the event (OZ BrickFest/ ETC). I just think that we should keep the entry fee too around $50 AU. With any extra in profets going to prizes for the event (best MOC (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005

(...) Hello Teunis, Hi Everybody! (...) Look, I'm happy to do whatever, and, if need be, organise. But since I am based in Melbourne and consensus wanted the first meet to occur in Sydney (which does make sense) I'm not sure if I can avail myself as (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) and I have 3 answers.. It's kind of like having the set isn't it ;-) (...) Nope, in fact, I think it is a better way to develop ties with other loc.au'ers If we started big,I think many would get lost in the crowd, start small and we all get (...) (20 years ago, 29-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) James I'm happy to support you doing it, as there hasn't been a whole lot of people putting there hand up. Even if a couple of others do (thanks Travis!) it might't hurt to have more than 1 go-to person. (...) I'm certainly happy with a (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) I have just spoken to a couple of 'large' all-type of event organisers who offered some advice. These are the things discussed: First of all, a huge and one main issue (apart from finding an actual venue itself) - PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) In Sydney for '03 too. In fact, the venue stopped hiring its function rooms out for such functions soon after. Their insurance brocker apparently said something like "You used it for WHAT?". Churches are good for included cover, but are often (...) (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) I just had a thought. It would cost a bit more to hire out a convention centre, but don't they cover those issues anyway? Leg Godt Travis Matheson (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) Depending on which convention centre you are referring to, it can cost *A LOT* more ;) and the bigger, the more expensive. Mel (20 years ago, 30-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

Just for some interesting information (as of 31st August, 2004): Our 'known' Aussie Brick Population (to date): BRICKLINK: 977 (unsure of how many lurkers/browsers) (283 sellers/buyers in NSW) (181 sellers/buyers in QLD) (51 sellers/buyers in ACT) (...) (20 years ago, 31-Aug-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) An impressive number! Is there a way to email them as a group? (I'd go and find out myself, but I'm boycotting BL until they reinstate Larry). How many would come to a national meet? The US has around 16K Brinklickers, and had 300ish at (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) I don't think so... (...) Maybe, but some sites don't always allow you to contact people, even though it's sometimes nice to be told of such things happening :) Maybe some of the sellers could place a banner that we will come up with on their (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005.

(...) Whoa there! I bet they'd all love more unsolicited mail in their inbox ;-) (...) This idea makes me smile some. A true man of principle - there are so few. While buckets of folks have been posturing like crazy about this, I have doubted their (...) (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005.

(...) Maybe Brickfest.com would provide such a page? That is, if we decide to use their name[1]. ROSCO [1] Which I think would be a good idea, as long as there's no show-stopping conditions associated with it. (20 years ago, 2-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005.

(...) Much pain, suffering and general immorality in the world has been caused as a result of men standing by their principles. The moral and ethical significance lies in the content of the principles, not the rigorousness of their adherence. More (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005.

(...) And, I would contend, the same could be said of men not standing by their principles. (...) You mean "Do as I say, not as I do"? -snip- But enough straying to .debate material. (...) Actually, I was. (...) Indeed. Cheers Richie Dulin (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005.

(...) Sure, but that wasn't being praised. Adherence to principles was, hence I provided an example of why one mightn't praise it so highly. I certainly don't. (...) More along the lines of "Praise motivations, not actions." (...) Well, this is (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) I think an insert in the World Club magazine could be a big mistake. World Club magazine would reach a lot of kids. So before going down that particular road, we probably need to think whether the event is intended to cater for kids and, if (...) (20 years ago, 3-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) (URL) Looks like> your self-imposed exile is over. ROSCO (20 years ago, 18-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) Well, I'm boycotting 'Bricks' magazine until Larry is featured on the cover, or at least a centrefold. (20 years ago, 18-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)

  Re: Australian Nation Meet, 2005. A hand in the air.

(...) Thanks for the heads up! (Regardless of the reason(s) for Larry's reinstatement, I like to think that my boycott contributed in some small way.) Cheers Richie Dulin (20 years ago, 18-Sep-04, to lugnet.loc.au, FTX)