 General / 4007
4006  |  4008
Subject:
large sets / small sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 03:32:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, jdiri14897@email.msn.com (John DiRienzo) writes:
jonathan wilson wrote in message ...
the basic problem with large sets is that they do not sell very well.
notice that most of the stories of people finding old sets refer to
large sets...

This is a false assumption.

Jonathan's assumption may be false, but the data you give below doesn't
support the opposite.

Not too long ago I found a Biplane and Fork
Lift from the 70s.  Another time I found 6049 Viking Voyager and 6039 Twin
Arm Launcher.  I haven't ever found an old (more than 6 years) large set.

Large sets are much more worthwhile for a store to ship back to the
manufacturer, where they would get blown out of S@H over a number of years
or sold to liquidators.

I am sure people have, but saying large sets don't sell well is wrong

Unfortunately, all too many recent large LEGO sets are half pure air in the
box, and horribly overpriced.  Cases in point:  6195, 6199, 6190, 6977,
6979, 5986, 6456, 6464, 6435, etc....

and saying that old large sets are found more frequently is also wrong.

Well, but old sets are also a lot less likely to get scooped up by someone
on a whim, so for stores that aren't smart enough to turn their stock over
or blow it out on clearance, large sets will sit around on the shelves
longer -- at least the modern, large, overpriced sets.

Just a theory.

--Todd