 General / 4011
Re: large sets / small sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 06:56:16 GMT

   Oh boy, Todd and I at it again!  Seems no matter where I post... there's
Todd - like he owns the place or somethin!

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, jdiri14897@email.msn.com (John DiRienzo) writes:
jonathan wilson wrote in message ...
the basic problem with large sets is that they do not sell very well.
notice that most of the stories of people finding old sets refer to
large sets...

This is a false assumption.

Jonathan's assumption may be false, but the data you give below doesn't
support the opposite.

Not too long ago I found a Biplane and Fork
Lift from the 70s.  Another time I found 6049 Viking Voyager and 6039 • Twin
Arm Launcher.  I haven't ever found an old (more than 6 years) large set.
Large sets are much more worthwhile for a store to ship back to the
manufacturer, where they would get blown out of S@H over a number of years
or sold to liquidators.

I am sure people have, but saying large sets don't sell well is wrong

Unfortunately, all too many recent large LEGO sets are half pure air in the
box, and horribly overpriced.  Cases in point:  6195, 6199, 6190, 6977,
6979, 5986, 6456, 6464, 6435, etc....

and saying that old large sets are found more frequently is also wrong.

Well, but old sets are also a lot less likely to get scooped up by someone
on a whim, so for stores that aren't smart enough to turn their stock over
or blow it out on clearance, large sets will sit around on the shelves
longer -- at least the modern, large, overpriced sets.

Just a theory.

--Todd

  Okie dokie.  Let me support big sets some more.  First, it doesn't seem to
me that there are more big sets than in the good old days (which is, of
course a different time period for everyone).  I have never even considered
complaining about the number of big sets - I think most people like them.
Here is why:.  In actuality, anyone should be happy with one or two thousand
pieces.  The number of things you can build is unlimited, really.  Well, TLG
wants to sell more than a couple thousand Lego pieces to every person who
plays with a Lego set.  Plus Lego wants to sell a good gift-giving set.
Wouldn't you be kind of mad at your grand-parents if they just bought you a
40 piece set for your birthday?  Plus Lego wants to take up as much shelf
space as possible.  Would a little kid have the amount of awe he gets in the
Lego aisle if it were a fifth the size it is now?  Back to number of pieces.
With a big set, TLG can show the unlimited and amazing possibilities of its'
product.  With a small set TLG can't do that.  With a big set, TLG can give
kids the inspiration or desire to build mega-creations.  Without them, TLG
could only rely on idea books, which don't sell as well as sets of Lego - if
they did they would be in more stores.  Without a desire to build great
creations, kids are not going to have a desire for a ridiculous number of
pieces, so TLG *has* to sell big sets.  They always have and its worked.
They have changed just about everything, but I don't see a great change in
the set sizing system Lego uses.  I don't think they should reduce the
number of large sets (although a drop on the prices would be nice!)  Lastly,
variety is the spice of life, Lego has a tremendous variety, from themes to
set sizes, which makes it fun to buy, play with and collect.  In ten years a
new generation will be saying those sets from the seventies sure are
archaic, and these new sets sure suck, I wish it was 1999 again!

   And... I looked at the subject... personally I prefer big sets.  As a
collector, its a lot cheaper to collect small sets, but as a builder I just
love the big sets.  Its fun to double the size of your spare parts pile by
just buying one or two sets and dumping them in there.  When you find a big
set on sale for a good price, its even better.

--

   Have fun!

John ( jdiri14897@email.msn.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m