 General / 3991
Re: Soccer sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 12:11:41 GMT

The Mos Espa Pod Race has tons of new orange pieces, some new green pieces,
and a couple new purple pieces.  If it weren't $90, I'd have several by
now.

Simon Robinson wrote:

I won't be happy if it is.  Think about it - the SW sets are heavy in dark
grey plates, and orange, green, and purple bits.  A bucket would have parts
in colors we've never seen in buckets before.

They are? I haven't bought that many SW sets as I couldn't see many bricks
in them I wanted. I only bought the landspeeders because of that intriguing
light green plate and all the brown bricks.
But I don't recall seeing any orange or purple on the sets in the catalogue.
Where are those colours? If they've got bricks in those colours then I
probably will start buying the sets up.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

I could care less if it had any minifigs at all, as long as it had lots of
dark grey, green, orange, or purple pieces.

Thomas Main wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:

<snip>

We don't know for -sure- (like officially) that the SW bucket is for-sure
totally totally cancelled.  Just that LSI in Enfield told retailers that • it
was being pulled.  TLG may still (God, let's hope!) change its mind, or
(bummer, but better than nothing) release it outside of the U.S.

I believe the cancellation of the Star Wars bucket may have prevented a
lot of TLG flaming.  Why?  Did anyone ever consider what the contents of
this bucket would have been?  As far as I know, Lego never included
"theme-type" pieces in any of its buckets -- even the Halloween bucket,
which someone pointed out would have been great had it included ghosts,
skeletons and bats, contained only "freestyle" pieces.  I am guessing
that a Star Wars bucket would have enraged AFOLs because it would simply
have been freestyle parts with a Star Wars label.  It's kinda like the
Star Wars toothpaste I saw yesterday -- just a company's attempt to
cash-in on a licensing agreement.

So, if the above scenario is plausible, be happy the Star Wars bucket
was cancelled.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu