 General / 3994
Re: AucZILLA X: what is this item?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 16:40:44 GMT

jonathan wilson wrote:

tlg has this stupid idea that kids want playsets not building sets. the idea is

Well, I have to say, that this is what my 4.5 year old DOES want.  I
have witnessed him slowly drifting away from this and more toward
building, but it's more on the order of swapping out details etc. of one
truck, ship, etc. with new ones.  We do play with Lego far more than
with tonka trucks or his Fisher Price castle set though, even if it's
just to do the same kind of play.

that you build the sets quickly and then sit around for hours driving the fire
truck over the carpet or what ever. lego should not try and change into

Well, for young kids, they are more able to connect meaningfully with
activities that they've witnessed.  Construction, especially planned
construction with even a slight degree of complexity is just too
abstract.  Driving trucks around - hauling things from here to there,
and having accidents due to wildly fast games of chicken are all more
fun than planning the building of a gothic cathedral.

something it is not. lego is a company that makes the worlds leading
construction toy. keep it that way and do not turn what was the worlds leading
construction toy into a third rate playset.

I agree.  I also think that Lego has produced essentially the best
playsets too, because of the very nature of their custamizability.  And
you know, crashing two tonka trucks together in the living room isn't
nearly so cool as Lego trucks that shatter if done properly.

the basic problem with large sets is that they do not sell very well. notice
that most of the stories of people finding old sets refer to large sets...

They sell great at 50% off  :-)

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks