 General / 3988
Re: AucZILLA X: what is this item?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 06:03:01 GMT

the problem with TLG is that they are trying to lower the mena target age for
its line. look at primo for babies. look at all the new duplo sets. look at the
town jr crap. look at the emphisis on playsets e.g. adventurers...

TLG: introduce more detailed sets, more SW sets, bigger SW sets, stop making
crap such as town JR, make more trains, make trains that look like trains,
make more spare parts packs, make buckets and bulk piece lots and most of all
hire some good reaserch people to find out who is buying your product.

in my experience there are several types of lego buyers:
1. kids buying with their pocket meney: want small sets with lost of parts that
they do not already have to expand their collection.
2. parents buying for their kits (birthdays etc): want something that is not
going to blow the bank and may be told by their kids which sets they want.
usually after somethign middle sized to large (depending on the finances)
usually looking for something that will keep the kids occupied for a while and
that the kids will accually like.
3. adults buying for themselfes (AFOLS): usually after detailed sets with lots
of elements and lots of build value. tlg denies that this group of buyers even
exists...

tlg has this stupid idea that kids want playsets not building sets. the idea is
that you build the sets quickly and then sit around for hours driving the fire
truck over the carpet or what ever. lego should not try and change into
something it is not. lego is a company that makes the worlds leading
construction toy. keep it that way and do not turn what was the worlds leading
construction toy into a third rate playset.

the basic problem with large sets is that they do not sell very well. notice
that most of the stories of people finding old sets refer to large sets...