 General / 4005
Re: AucZILLA X: what is this item?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 23:57:47 GMT

   No offense, but I disagree with nearly everything you wrote.  And your
shift key is in need of repair, as is your spell checker.

jonathan wilson wrote in message ...
the problem with TLG is that they are trying to lower the mena target age • for
its line. look at primo for babies. look at all the new duplo sets. look at • the
town jr crap. look at the emphisis on playsets e.g. adventurers...

   I think it makes sense that TLG is trying to aim at a younger audience.
At least in the US (Lego's largest market), these days all the teenagers do
is drugs and video games.  The Lego sets they get are unwanted gifts, so I
hope TLG will aim for and attract the younger kids, and hopefully those kids
will be more addicted to Lego when they get older and not turn to these more
insidious pastimes.  If you are a teenager playing with Lego now, there is
not nearly the great selection, so blame that on your moronic peers.

TLG: introduce more detailed sets, more SW sets, bigger SW sets, stop • making
crap such as town JR, make more trains, make trains that look like trains,
make more spare parts packs, make buckets and bulk piece lots and most of • all
hire some good reaserch people to find out who is buying your product.

   I think they know who is buying their product better than you.  I think
they are pleasing their targets as well as they can.  The sets you complain
about aren't even aimed at you.  I have never been interested in Duplo, but
I know they sell them.  They are targeting the older buyers with stuff like
Mindstorms and software, and I am sure we are going to see a lot more in
both areas.

tlg has this stupid idea that kids want playsets not building sets. the • idea is
that you build the sets quickly and then sit around for hours driving the • fire
truck over the carpet or what ever. lego should not try and change into
something it is not. lego is a company that makes the worlds leading
construction toy. keep it that way and do not turn what was the worlds • leading
construction toy into a third rate playset.

   The sets have been evolving towards playsets since they began themes.  I
remember when they sold big sets of basic pieces.  I guess they don't sell
well anymore, otherwise they would still be selling them.  Anyway, I think a
lot of kids do build, then play.  I certainly let a Castle stand a while
after spending countless hours on it before I tear it down and build
something else.  Even a new set, I build it, and if I don't need a certain
piece for another project, I let it stand until I do need a certain piece
from that set.  Of course I move the figures around and fiddle with it from
time to time, too.  As a kid, I built large dioramas and enacted battles.
Its not *only* a construction toy, but a toy that lets *kids* use their
imaginations.  They can do so in many ways.

the basic problem with large sets is that they do not sell very well. • notice
that most of the stories of people finding old sets refer to large sets...

  This is a false assumption.  Not too long ago I found a Biplane and Fork
Lift from the 70s.  Another time I found 6049 Viking Voyager and 6039 Twin
Arm Launcher.  I haven't ever found an old (more than 6 years) large set.  I
am sure people have, but saying large sets don't sell well is wrong and
saying that old large sets are found more frequently is also wrong.  Again,
no offense, but I wanted to defend my favorite toy maker.
--

   Have fun!

John ( jdiri14897@email.msn.com ) remove NOSPAM:
John's Lego Web Trade Page:
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/lego/index.htm
MOC,CA[cl,bf,cr,fm,bk+++ wp,dm,rk,df++ fk-]++++(6035)
SW,TR,old(456)+++ TO++ PI,SP+ DU--
#+++++ S LS¼ Hy? M+ A+++ LM-- IC12m