 General / 4010
Re: to Minifig or not to Minifig ? (was: Star Wars fixes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 06:21:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, ben.gatrelle@nospam-bigfoot.com (Ben Gatrelle) writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.database, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Arguably neither Jar Jar nor R2-D2 are minifigs.. minifigs have normal
heads which rules out Jar Jar, no? And if R-D2 is one, so is the E1
droid, and so is a skeleton.

Who defined a minifig as having to have a normal head.

I don't think anyone did.  Not that such a definition would stick anyway.

And who's defining a
normal head? Is darth Vader's head normal? Are only Classic yellow smiley
heads normal?  Is the ghost's black head w/o facial features a normal head?

If we are not counting droids like R2-D2 and (hopefully C3-PO) as minifigs,
can we count the white android that came from the Explorien series, or the
red one from the Spyrius series, or the one from the Insectoid series?

I (personally) count the Explorien white android as being a minifig.  And
if/when C-3PO comes out, I'll count him as a minifig too (reserving the right to
change sides, of course, when it actually comes out :).  But I don't
(personally) think of R2-D2 as a minifig -- R2 is just a fig to me.  And the pit
droids aren't even figs -- they're just collections of parts (to me).  I do
count a skeleton as a minifig, but I'm not sure why -- I guess it's because the
skeleton is a dead minifig and still has a minifig head even if it doesn't have
minifig legs, torsos, or hands.

IMO a minifig is a *character* that is based on the torso with two moveable
arms, lower body that attaches at the waist, head that goes on top. Notice I
said based on. I consider if the entity, for lack of a more generic term, has
character or personality. In the SW universe, clearly we are meant to think
of R2-D2 and C3-PO as people.

Yeah, I think of 'em as people too -- and thus as figures in the set.  But I
don't think of R2 as a LEGO Mini-Figure(TM).

In my book, all humans are minifigs. Ghosts, skeletons, Jar-Jar, droids with
personality are all minifigs.

I think I count 'em based on their shape and interlocking fuction.  Jar-Jar has
regular minifig hands and a regular minifig legs and torso, and only a weird
head.

Monkeys, horses, dragons, and the pit robots are not, though depending on
the movie, battle droids may be.  They certainly fit the physical description
given above, if not the sentient definition.

Y'know what's weird?  In my mind, a skeleton is a minifig, but a battle droid
isn't (or is only very marginally so).  But a skeleton is in many ways more like
a battle droid than a regular minifig.

I think it'll prove impossible to apply a Yes/No stamp on each character -- it's
a Huge Gray Area.

--Todd