 General / 4016
Re: to Minifig or not to Minifig ? (was: Star Wars fixes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 18:54:33 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I agree it's gray. but to me a minifig has to have the torso capable of
accepting legs (per the def'n posted), minifig hands, and a minifig
head. I agree that some of the older space fig robots aren't yellow
headed, nor is Darth. But I'd call them minifigs anyway.
Skeletons, monkeys, Jar Jar, the new robot... all fail.

Actually, doesn't the "minifig" classification fail?  They're not action
figures (1).  Because there are three minifigs on the box, doesn't
necessarily mean that you get three minifigs with that set.  Swap heads
between them, and you get three more minifigs, and so on.  Jar Jar is kinda
a minifig, but give him Gasgano's head, and he's 100% minifig.  The number
of possible minifig combinations grows enormously fast.

If we're looking at set inventories, we should probably count something
like, "three minifig heads, two sets of minifig torsos, two sets of minifig
legs", etc. but with more attention to color and print.  A skeleton is kind
of a minifig, but a skeleton head is totally a minifg head.  The gray area
starts to tighten up a bit.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  ...Though we *all* play with them as if they were action figures.  Not
even Kenner can top the playability of these cool froods.  :-,

2.  Got minifig?

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."