 General / 37738
Re: $Here’s the Deal$
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:47:58 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Richard Noeckel writes:
                 -On Variants:
Kevin Salm: could you consider producing variants of old
sets rather than copies?  (sets in other colors for example)
Answer : Yes, we are considering that very seriously.

‘VARIANTS’  -Are-  going to happen…
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow,
                 :::But Someday:::

Let's not put words in the mouth of Brad Justus.
I asked this question at BrickFest because it needed to be asked, but I was
less than satisfied with the answer given.  More information would have been
good, but is/was not reasonable to expect.

Your ideas are for re-issues of past sets in color variants only.  Personally,
I have other ideas in mind, too.  Specifically, variants of past sets that have
been
partially or totally _redesigned_ to be even _better _ than the set they are
based upon.

So I feel that while re-issues of Pizza to Go, Breezeway Cafe, Guarded Inn,
Metroliner, Club Car, etc are a good idea [1], my vision is for these sets to
be re-created by Lego set designers with the spirit of the original sets
preserved.  I can picture a Breezeway Cafe rebuilt into a little French
bistro,
for example, using the same elements (and possibly more of the key pieces).
The minifigs can be updated, the piece count can climb, and of course the
price
point for the set would be increased slightly.

There have been so many excellent Lego sets released over the years.  If some
of them are taken back to the set design department at The Lego Company, they
could be beefed up and perhaps some newer elements could be employed.  The
result would be new versions of old favorites that children (and AFOLs) would
cherish and enjoy building as much as the sets that inspired them.

That is my wish.  I don't know if many others feel the same way as I do.  And
do not know if it is reasonable to expect such products from The Lego Company.
We can hope, anyway, if nothing else.  And also take the online surveys at
Lego.com. [2]  And we can continue to ask Brad Justus when we see him if such
variants of old sets can be expected some time in the future.

Brad Justus did give a pretty firm YES answer to the question.  So I remain
hopeful that we _will_ see some variants of old sets available.  I have been
quite pleased with the products that Brad Justus and LegoDirect have been able
to provide.  So, above all, we need to allow LegoDirect time to act.  All good
things take time -- I am willing to wait a bit more for these "good things."

__Kevin Salm__
....Over 20 years experience building with Lego toys....

[1]  Okay, I don't really like the idea of re-issued sets and many others here
agree with that sentiment; re-issues are better than nothing and I can be
happy
with that in and of itself.

[2]  Couldn't hurt, I guess.  Like chicken soup.

.