 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4917
Re: $Here’s the Deal$
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:45:46 GMT

trimmed to lego.direct to reduce "noise level"

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Richard Noeckel writes:
                 -On Variants:
Kevin Salm: could you consider producing variants of old
sets rather than copies?  (sets in other colors for example)
Answer : Yes, we are considering that very seriously.

‘VARIANTS’  -Are-  going to happen…
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow,
                 :::But Someday:::

hopefully yes....but this is still too much of a broad assumption.
Consideration and Actually coming out with a specific set are two
different matters.

And thus, I feel adamantly inclined to persuade TLG,
and Lego Direct, to consider my supplication to have
set   # 375/6075   become the first ‘Variant’ in TLG’s
esteemed line of Classics.  ((In Dark Gray of Course))
               http://guide.lugnet.com/set/375_2

I prefer Light Grey myself, but that's all a matter of personal preference.

(I believe that models being remade into ‘Variants’
would be better suited to fall under the banner of
“Classics” rather than “Legends!”)  Cause after all,
if it t’was a true “Legend” it wouldn’t have to be
remade with an alternate color scheme.

I like the term you initially used as "variants".
These type of sets wouldn't be classed as either legends or classics.
Legend is a particular set that has achieved the mark of excellence and
is considered to be a capstone set in the lego line, that is made to
exactly to the original set release (but due to availability of moulds,
since "Legends" are issued out by LEGO DIRECT who make it a point of pride
to not make additional moulds if at all possible.

"Classics" by accepted definition are sets released by LEGO itself as
"re-releases".  Case in point, The pirate sets, Wildwest sets, and the
Gas N Wash Express are all examples of "Classics".  They are also most
likely available at the retail setting....TRU, etc, where as the
"Legends" are not available in any store.

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=37552
^-Following the concepts in the post above
I see no reason why this wouldn’t be the
ideal choice for the first “Classics-Variant.”

I agree.  This does seem like a very good choice.
However, taking a bit from what Brad Justice said about the 375 was that
it didn't do as well as some of the other candidates in the LEGEND
line-up voting was that there is a view that the set can be mostly be
made with pieces in the collection.   Most of the structure can be made with
existing brick design.

After all, the first Legend was of Castles
decent, and the first MOC was also of Castle
heritage. Accordingly, to continue this positive
trend, the first “Classics-Variant” should follow
suite.

So here’s the deal, let’s let TLG know what direction
they should explore regarding future “Variants!”

~Example:

Like an all tan hull of a 6274 Caribbean Clipper
with light blue trim and royal blue sails…
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6274

(or)

A sand green variant for the Deep Freeze Defender
with brown and dark red trim along with a black canopy.
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6973

Here’s two great example of variants for Pirates and space!

Pretty good examples.  I guess some really good variations on the
main theme.

   ?Others?
  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯     What’s your choice for the ideal ‘Variant?’

My wish is that they should have made the Imperial's boat the same size
or larger than the pirate boat.  I mean its not really fair in the
broad scope of things....you have 3 cool, massive pirate boats, and
the imperials have 3 mediocre at best ships.  I guess they hope that
their puny ships will draw the pirates into harbor in order to bombard
the pirates with the 40 pounders on the shore (at Fort Elderado)

....before I go completely off tangent, I just want to add that the Imperial
Flagship be extended a boat hull length, maybe have a captain's cabin,
and maybe an "undercover" female soldier in the ranks??? (hey its Lego,
anything is possible).

            ¤Sincerely,

                               --==RïçhårÐ==--

(Yes, I do yield any/all rights to the creative ideas/concept
inherent within this *imploration in the hopes that these
imaginings become one day tangible!)

hmmm....holding rights and capitalizing on said rights are two different
matters.
*is this even a word?
(seriously, is it?!?)

I'll have to consult my websters dictionary.....it means to beseech with
great intensity....to plead very hard

so yes it is correct, and also correct usage
Good job.

Ben