 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4919
Re: $Here’s the Deal$
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:08:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Salm writes:
Your ideas are for re-issues of past sets in color variants only.  Personally,
I have other ideas in mind, too.  Specifically, variants of past sets that
have been partially or totally _redesigned_ to be even _better _ than the set
they are based upon.

So I feel that while re-issues of Pizza to Go, Breezeway Cafe, Guarded Inn,
Metroliner, Club Car, etc are a good idea, my vision is for these sets to
be re-created by Lego set designers with the spirit of the original sets
preserved.  I can picture a Breezeway Cafe rebuilt into a little French
bistro, for example, using the same elements (and possibly more of the key
pieces). The minifigs can be updated, the piece count can climb, and of
course the price point for the set would be increased slightly.

These are some good ideas - I don't think there's much potential in simple
colour variants of sets.  Using more realistic colours may appeal to adult
builders who are after the parts, but I don't think they'd have the broad
market appeal required to make a success.

I note that in a recent Lego World Club magazine there were instructions for
building the old <set:480_1> Rescue Helicopter from current parts.  I would
suggest the update or minifigification* of older sets, like my <set:361_1>
Café update as another route these variants could take:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/cafe/
(Sorry to plug my own model when it's done the rounds already, but I haven't
seen anyone else building these).
There is actually a sort of precedent from LEGO itself - the <set:369>
Coastguard was remodelled as <set:575> to take minifigs back in 1977
(although I think this one suffered from regionalisation with the obvious
American motifs).

Jason J Railton

*It's a word now :-)