 General / 34573
Re: What one piece would you like to see?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 05:05:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erik Olson writes:
We'll not be seeing them from Lego soon.

Well, they could certainly make something rather close to those VERY cool
Tyco elements that are double-sided male and double-sided female if they
wanted to, and in fact they have done so if you consider the utility of the
following elements (numbers and names from the parts ref):

75535 Technic Pin Joiner Round (could be great as a 1x1x1, instead of the
current design of 1x1x1 1/3)
32017 Technic Liftarm  1 x  5
151 Technic Liftarm  1 x  5 Straight
32063 Technic Liftarm  1 x  6
32065 Technic Liftarm  1 x  7

The above elements are very much in the way of the Tyco double sided female
element, except that I find the Tyco 2x2 size more readily usable.  Lego
could fill the gap by making some squared, rather than rounded, elements
like the above Technic elements in 1x1x1 (or thinner height), 1x2x1 (or
thinner height) and 2x2x1 (or thinner height) configurations.  Once you have
these, why not make the double-sided male "stud' plates (it is the logical
extension of having the above elements anyway)?  Ritvik MB does, and I note
they evaded the patent issue by designing their plates slightly differently
than did Tyco.  TLC could certainly do the same and give us 1x1x1 (or
thinner height), 1x2x1 (or thinner height), and 2x2x1 (or thinner height)
configurations.

I am sure arguments can mounted against TLC making these elements, but I
think the utility of such elements outweighs any possible reasons against
making them.  And let's face it -- Tyco is history as a construction brick
concern, so TLC has little to fear in adapting one of their designs. In any
case, if TLC were truly worried about creating a cause of action against
themselves for adapting Tyco ideas to their own purposes, they would NOT
have created the above Technic elements in the first place.  If Tyco could
make a claim based on any of the element designs I have suggested, they
could also make the same claim as regards the existing Technic elements
mentioned above.

Gary's designs will do as far as I can see:

-- Hop-Frog