 General / 34602
Re: What one piece would you like to see?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 04:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, Chris Maddison writes:

I was pondering an interesting thought earlier.  I'll open it to all of you too.

What one (or more) piece(s), NOT yet made (i.e., no mold has ever existed
for it) would you like to see LEGO make?  Simple question.  And no, existing
parts in off colors don't count.  No pink pitchforks and such. ;-)

My vote would be for a moritorium on new parts for at least the next 3 to 5
years.

???

My apologies.  I spelled it wrong.  It should be:

moratorium - a suspension of activity

Perhaps.  But I think the biggest problem
today isn't a lack of new parts, it's a glut of new parts.

Glut of new parts?  Sorry, can't parse.

Star Wars
Harry Potter
Bionicle
Jack Stone
Dinosaurs

They are all loaded with new parts.  Was every one of those molds necessary?
From what we've been told here, by people in the know, these molds are
wildly expensive.  Why not dig into the existing inventory of molds to find
parts that have been perhaps underutilized.

It would be so
nice to see old existing parts used in ever new and exciting ways.  This is
always what makes models built by LEGO fans so interesting.  They are
*forced* to use existing parts.  They can't very well make molds for a part
they think they need.  They make do with what they have.

What a silly thing to say.  The parts about what you speak were new at one >time!

Of course they were.  But just because you've always done something doesn't
mean you have to continue to do it.  That's being silly.

LEGO has lost money in the last few years.  If I were them, I'd be looking
at various ways to cut costs for the next few years.  Putting a hold on new
parts would be one way to do this.  It's not as though they are only dealing
with a catalog of 10 or 20 various parts.  There are many many parts with
which to work (for which molds already exist ).

"Maximum utilization of available resources."

Well, TLC has the resources to create new molds, so how exactly does this >quote apply?

They may have the financial resources (or may not) but I was speaking of
resources in general.  They are in a sad state right now.  And when you're
in a sad state, you look around and make the best out of what you've got handy.

This is what separates the master builders from those who can accurately
align bricks at 90 degrees to each other and push down.

Seems like you want your cake and eat it, too.  On one hand, you want specialty
elements used in new and creative ways, yet on the other you want a moritorium
on creating those new elements which could be used in new and creative ways in
the future.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Master Builders would use 'specialty
parts' more than a pure fan.  In fact, I didn't imply this at all, I think
you read too deep into what I wrote.

My point was simple:

Fans create some amazing things with basic bricks (and some specialty parts)
that they get from sets they buy from LEGO.  The models created for the LEGO
theme parks accompish some astounding feats with *existing* bricks.  Why not
put a hold on new parts, regroup, and force your designers to prove their
worth?  If a fan with a poor selection of bricks bought at retail can do it,
then a Master Builder with access to unlimited quantities should be able to
do it better.  Right?

What you're saying doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Have a peak at my follow-up.  If it still doesn't make sense I will try to
elaborate further.  I'm not being glib, I truly think this move would
improve things.

Regards,
Allan B.