 General / 34736
Re: What one piece would you like to see?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:09:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Maddison writes:
What one (or more) piece(s), NOT yet made (i.e., no mold has ever existed
for it) would you like to see LEGO make?  Simple question.  And no, existing
parts in off colors don't count.  No pink pitchforks and such. ;-)

Interesting hypothetical discussion.  I do think that there are plenty of
good parts available already.  And I have only recently mustered enough
creativity to develop new ways of using old parts, including some that I
thought I could never use for anything other than their intended design
(look for posts next week of my BT1 submission in lugnet.space for some idea
of what I mean).

But, if I had to answer...

1. The inverse of the 1X2 plate with one stud (recently announced as
available from S@H), such that if you offset part of a MOC by 1/2 a brick
using the original switcher, you could easily return to the proper alignment
at the top of the section.  (Did my explanation make sense there?)

2. As was said, more plates that were perfectly square.  Someone mentioned
3X3, which would be a joy.  Also, recently I discovered that I don't have
any plates that are 8X8 or 10X10 or larger.  It seems if one dimension is
10, than the other is smaller, etc.  Such elements might exist, but I
haven't come across them.  Also, along the same lines, what about 3X plates
longer than two or three studs, e.g. 3X8 ?

3. A greater variety of dock elements, beyond the raised square and the
ramped ones from the Nautica Town Theme.  I know such a thing would benifit
my old harbor, if no one elses...   :)

4. Sloped Train Tracks.  I know you can slope them manually to small degree,
but it requires a length of track at a slow grade.  The monorail sets had
specific elements for slopes.  Subways and bridges would be a snap if slopes
were more available.  ...Of course, there might be an issue with the trains
slipping on the track if it were too steep.  Maybe this wouldn't work...

5. "Road" Plates for non-Town.  Maybe a dirt colored trail for the
Forestmen, or a cobblestone road for the Crusaders, or a pseud-crete
hover-path for the Lunar Colonies...

-Hendo