 General / 34814
Re: What one piece would you like to see?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:11:22 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Sonnich Jensen writes:
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but:

These molds exist, but not to us:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3881

It is only fair to point out that in other sorts of plastic manufacturing,
(0) the existance of what appears to be a plastic molded part in a photo of
a prototype does not imply that a mold for that part actually exists. The
part may be mocked up with clay, wood, butchery of existing parts and some
glue, etc. It may have been carved from plastic stock to give the impression
of being molded. It may have been created with lost wax and plaster casts
(such a mold lasts for about 10-100 parts at best)...

In fact, the photos of models (1) built with the parts may well be part of
the decision making process about what parts get production molds and what
parts do not. Or so one who didn't know for sure, but was well informed
about plastics manufacturing in general, would speculate.

0 - for example automobile plastics
1 - the very ones we are drooling over, in fact

++Lar