 General / 28542
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:46:38 GMT

"Financially, the past year was extremely
disappointing," says Poul Plougmann, Executive Vice President and COO of • the
LEGO Company. "But we know what went wrong and we know what to do about • it."

The year 2000 was a very difficult year for the entire toy industry. But • despite
many strengths and high points, the LEGO Company was affected "because we • lost
focus," Plougmann said.

"We will refocus on our core business, which is materials for open-ended • play
for children," he said. "That is what the brand is about -- stimulating
imagination, creativity and learning -- and it is what children and • parents
expect from us. We will continue to expand within this area, applying a • growth
strategy with a huge potential and lower risk."

Find this promising? Read closely and weep.

This quote actually demonstrates what is still very wrong in how LEGO
officials struggle with their lack of consistent vision.
It says 'the one thing we really need, is FOCUS'.
Focus on what? Well, to be 'precise': 'play materials for open-ended play
for children'.
Is that focus? This statement effectively rules out AFOL-directed
activities, but it doesn't rule out computer games, barbie-like dolls,
collectible action figures, racing and fighting gadgets, one-piece toys or
*any* other kind of toy. Shouldn't that statement  be FOCUSED to
'construction material' or even -brace yourself- 'bricks'??!

From lacking focus in this critical strategy quote, which is offered as a
dearly-needed solution, it is clear that TLG officials themselves have no
consistent view on what their core bussiness actually is (besides becoming
the best-known brand name in a major bussiness merger).

Eric