 General / 28302
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:59:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Sanburn writes:
Here are some general questions I have:

1) Where are the losses coming from, product line wholesale
sales, plant closings, market loss, new vetures, etc.

My guess would be Star Warsz. Every store that had overstock, always had large
amounts of SW. I wonder if TLC still has warehouses full of it. SW was a
licensed product line. Not only did TLC have the overhead of designing the sets,
but (I strongly suspect) they had to pay a license fee to Lucas. Even if they
did sell well, they still seem to have large amount of product in the channel.
Second would be Rock Raiders (sadly, cause I liked it). I think that Adventurers
and Knights Kingdom did pretty well. Oh yeah, the DDKs, I wonder how much of a
write down they took to flush those out at $24.97 <ouch>

BTW (moving off on a tangent), did anyone else notice what was conspicuous by
its absence form the recent catalog ?  How about Knights Kingdon, Arctic & Rock
Raiders. Where'd they go ?

Ray