 General / 28390
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:15:58 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> skrev i meddelandet

Note that, IIRC, the Spring catalog traditionally has been the "lightest"
and entire lines are sometimes omitted with no implication of their early
termination.

Speaking of 'light' catalogs, my reaction to the Swedish 2001 catalog was:
"The heaviest I ever seen (when put on a scale), but not so much Lego content.
More talk about the product, more space between the pictures etc."

After discussing this a bit in .loc.se, someone counted the number of models
in the cat, and compared to a 1991 cat, and it was exactly the same number of
models!

<Partial, translated QUOTE>
Has the number of sets really increased? I was doubtful and compared the
catalogs from 1991 and 2001.

1991

Duplo:    65
Basic:    32
Pirate:   13
Castle:   12
Town:     67
Train:    12
Boats:     3
Space:    22
Model T:   3
Technic:  19

Total:  248

2001

Duplo:    49
Belville: 11
Scala:    11
Mybot:     2
Action W:  5
Mickey Mouse:5
Creator:   7
City:     12
Train:     5
Racers:    9
Race:      7
Arctic:    6
Adventurer:6
Alpha Team:7
Castle:    6
Football:  8
Studios:   7
Life on M: 8
Star Wars:28
SW Technic:7
Bionicle: 16
Technic:  21
Mindstorms:5

Total 248

Exactly the same number of sets! But the number of themes has exploded. The
number of pages in the catalog has been doubled, from 48 to 96 pages. This
year's catalog has a mean of less than 2.6 sets/page!

/Tommy

</QUOTE>

Also interesting is the fact that for the 1991 themes, I had to translate
every name (except Duplo, Basic, Technic) from Swedish, for the 2001 themes,
most were already in English (all but City, Train, Castle).

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm