 General / 28352
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:04:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

HALLELUJAH! LEGO has finally admitted that getting away from made them great
has failed - and miserably. Now that the non-brick and garbage-brick
ventures have been exposed as unprofitable as well as unpopular, they can
get back to the good stuff and make money again!

The good news is that LEGO still has people that know how to design
the good stuff.  Just look in a recent S@H catalog on the page
with "building ideas".  When I saw that page I thought "Here are some
building ideas, since we don't actually sell any."  While the house design
is primitive, it does demonstrate many of the features that consumers like
in a good set.

Along with substance (actual bricks) it is not overly articulated.  That
is important.  The mind is very good at filling in between the bricks.
It's called imagination.  When you use elements specifically for detailed
articulation you are shunting the creative value of the set.  You don't want it
to be too simple or crude (like Idea book #2), but there is a good balance
between simplicity and articulation that maximizes the creative kick-start that
we (kids and adults) are addicted to (think classic space).

Denise and I are cleaning up the house because we are moving to a new
one in April.  Last night I was packing up LEGO catalogs and I found a very
old "catalog" that had a picture of a parent and child on the cover
The child was holding a rectangular blob of various bricks, wheels and
windows.  The title was "How do you know it's an Ambulance?".  I'll have
to scan that in tonight.

KL