 General / 28291
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:54:06 GMT

To All,

Well, this is very disappointing to see. Especially since SW
was pretty strong in 2000. I do't know what to think.
Sometimes I wish I could see what they really sell and what
they really think. I always hate seeing my favorite
companies hemmoraging money, whether I disapprove of some of
their activities or not.

The year 2000 was a very difficult year for the entire • toy industry. But despite
many strengths and high points, the LEGO Company was • affected "because we lost
focus," Plougmann said.

HALLELUJAH! LEGO has finally admitted that getting away
from made them great
has failed - and miserably. Now that the non-brick and
garbage-brick
ventures have been exposed as unprofitable as well as
unpopular, they can
get back to the good stuff and make money again!

I don't know, based on some of the responses we received
here from TLC and elsewhere, I don't know. How are the bulk
sales, how are sales from things like Racers or whatever. I
really don't know anymore.

"We will refocus on our core business, which is • materials for open-ended play
for children," he said. "That is what the brand is about • -- stimulating
imagination, creativity and learning -- and it is what • children and parents
expect from us. We will continue to expand within this • area, applying a growth
strategy with a huge potential and lower risk."

Indeed. I hope things turn around.

I can't say enough how happy it makes me to hear this -
LEGO acknowledging
that it needs to get back to its roots. Making quality
toys that fit into
the LEGO system of play isn't only the right thing to do
for its fans, it's
the right thing to do for the bottom line - what could be
less risky than
giving people what they want?

Hmm... I really wonder sometimes the amount people want to
pay for good sets. I don't know, it is very frustrating.

Here are some general questions I have:

1) Where are the losses coming from, product line wholesale
sales, plant closings, market loss, new vetures, etc.

2) What plans are there to go back to the core LEGO
products, and what kind of items can we look forward to?

3) Are the bulk sales better tha the old format LSAH servce
packs?

I just scratch my head sometimes.

Scott S.