 General / 28362
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:20:57 GMT

"Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatico.deletethisspamblock.ca> wrote in
message news:G9KIrI.Mtw@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:
Now, if by "renew faith", you mean our (AFOL's) faith, then that would • make
sense. But I don't see LEGO doing something just for our benefit, • especially
when they mentioned children as their target in that release.

I don't just mean AFOLs.
BTW, we're a tool, not a market.

Suzanne, that's the most concise statement of this fact that I've
ever read.  I've always felt there's some delusions here about
us being some significant portion of the total sales market.  Even
as far as us being a tool..., well, there's a lot of potential,
but I'm not terribly convinced we amount to much even in that
regard either.  While we may (be trying to) help a little bit as
a tool, I think they could survive without us.

KDJ

_______________________________________
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I agree that LEGO could survive without AFOLs but I also think that we are
an evergrowing slice of their market.  For example, there are now over 950
members of LUGNET, and growing everyday.  There will soon be over 1000.  If
sales to LUGNUT members averages $1,000.00 per year gross (which I think is
a reasonable figure), that translates into at least $1 million in gross
sales just to AFOLs.  Whether LEGO considers a mere $1 million to be
significant or not, I don't know.

Tim
--
LUGNET Member 856 - Richmond, Virginia