 General / 28301
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:27:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tony Hafner writes:
Try reading that again.  Does it mention anything about
non-brick and garbage-brick ventures?  Has it occurred to
you that Lego started talking to the AFOLs in 2000?  What
about bulk bricks?  These are clearly moving the focus
away from blindly developing products that they think
people will want and selling them through retail chains.

Just to play the Devil's Advocate here for a moment...

The article stated:
<<"We will refocus on our core business, which is materials for open-ended play
for children," he said. "That is what the brand is about -- stimulating
imagination, creativity and learning -- and it is what children and parents
expect from us. We will continue to expand within this area, applying a
growth strategy with a huge potential and lower risk.".>>

Giving AFOL's what they want doesn't cost a lot of money in terms of market
research, packaging, instructions, etc. -- focusing on the bulk brick
probably costs them about as little as anything they do, and I suspect it's
an easy match for what might be called the "core business."  AFOLs have
asked not for new designs, but for old designs to brought back out of
mothballs (or is it molds brought out of their oil-soaked containers?).  I
figure they can do this and STILL make money even if they are planning to
chuck the rest of their operations.

To repeat the salient bits:
"That is what the brand is about...what children and parents expect from
us...We will continue to expand within this area, applying a growth strategy
with a huge potential and lower risk.".

And here is another thing to think about: Mega Bloks has been making good
money producing product for Lego's core business -- bricks -- for years.  I
suppose even the far inferior Best-Lock makes money too. Maybe TLC is
finally understanding that there is money in dem thar 1200 pc. buckets.
"Open-ended play" doesn't sound like Bionikkkeles to me.

Maybe it's TLC hype as usual -- who can say?  I'm going to go with the
"pudding" approach.  After all, the Devil is in the details...

-- Richard (Mr. Cliche)

P.S. The Lego Curmudgeon is in favor of anything that sounds like more bulk
bricks.  I will get behind anything that supports any segment of the AFOL
community.  At the same time, I will endlessly curse stupid product
(bionicccles) lines that dilute the stuff that I am most interested in.  As
it turns out, I think that if TLC did almost everything that AFOLs wanted,
business would be better.  That's my take on it in a "nutshell" edition for
you...the "hornbook" edition has yet to be edited!

P.P.S. Writing quickly here, hope it made sense.