 General / 28298
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:46:09 GMT

From:http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=171&Year=2001
The year 2000 was a very difficult year for the entire
toy industry. But despite many strengths and high
points, the LEGO Company was affected "because we lost
focus," Plougmann said.

HALLELUJAH! LEGO has finally admitted that getting away
from made them great has failed - and miserably. Now
that the non-brick and garbage-brick ventures have been
exposed as unprofitable as well as unpopular, they can
get back to the good stuff and make money again!

Try reading that again.  Does it mention anything about
non-brick and garbage-brick ventures?  Has it occurred to
you that Lego started talking to the AFOLs in 2000?  What
about bulk bricks?  These are clearly moving the focus
away from blindly developing products that they think
people will want and selling them through retail chains.

The release doesn't say anything specific at all.  I'll
treat it as it warrants- an announcement that they lost
money again.

-
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com