 General / 28295
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:23:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

I smiled when I read the release. Then I thought, "why am I smiling if I like
LEGO?" Now, reading your reaction, I half wonder if the release isn't designed
to renew faith in TLC.

Personally, it makes me smile to think of something like, the death of Bionicle,
and here I see the company "ship" may steer away from such stuff (?) But TLC did
recently hear, via The Wall Street Journal, that outside perception was of an
awfully big risk being taken with that very product.

I suppose, the only thing you can say, if you have to admit to the public that
you lost that much money, is:

"we know what happened"
"we will fix"
"no big risks"

...smile gone.

back to my day as usual.
-Suz

Not knowing what is going on at LEGO, I have to take them at their word. If
they say, "We screwed up, we're going back to what worked", why not believe
them? When they said, "Kids are dumb, so we have to make video games and
crappy sets, etc.", that happened.

What reason do they have to lie? They're a private company, so they don't
have to butter up stockholders and impress TV analysts. I don't know why
they would announce stuff like this at all; if my company lost a ton of
dough, I wouldn't shout it to the world. (1)

Now, if by "renew faith", you mean our (AFOL's) faith, then that would make
sense. But I don't see LEGO doing something just for our benefit, especially
when they mentioned children as their target in that release.

Admittedly, this release was short on specifics, but just the fact that they
admitted their mistake is an encouraging sign. Maybe after being discouraged
about LEGO for so long, I am a little delirious at the moment, but you can't
be down all the time. It is only fair for me to be happy when LEGO says
something good if I am going to complain every time they do something dumb.

-Marc

1: Announcements like these do make sense if you buy into the theory that
LEGO is setting itself up to be bought. I try not to think about that.