 General / 14025
Re: Who oversees the rec.toys.LEGO newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 07:42:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
The reason is simple:  The excessive gutter language and flamewars in RTL is
what drove many good people away (in frustration, horror, disbelief, etc.)
during 1994-1998.  I could name at least ten who specifically left at various
times as a result of uncivilities amplified by unnecessary obsceneties.

That's sad, and it's not a situation we need to repeat here.

I agree with Todd here.  There are certain places where it is
appropriate to use "gutter" language, such as in small groups
of people.  There are some places where it is not, such as
large groups, particularly when you don't know everyone in the
group.  To violate this simple rule is rude and uncivilized.

Example:

I cuss all too frequently in small groups of people, especially at work.
I would never do that at a cocktail party or even a *LUG meeting where I don't
know everyone.

LUGNET and rec.toys.lego are obviously large groups where you can't know
everyone.  Therefore it's never appropriate to use vulgar language in those
forums, regardless of the "rules".

KL