 Off-Topic / Debate / 3912
Re: Who oversees the rec.toys.LEGO newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:13:47 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
The reason is simple:  The excessive gutter language and flamewars in RTL
is what drove many good people away (in frustration, horror, disbelief,
etc.) during 1994-1998.  I could name at least ten who specifically left
at various times as a result of uncivilities amplified by unnecessary
obsceneties.

So, you essentially allowed these people to become the de facto arbiters of
what kind of speech was and was not allowed on Lugnet...is this right?

No.  These people and many others were visible indicators of a serious
problem facing the community of AFOLs.  Frank and others aready explained
this quite well elsewhere in this thread, so there's not much I can add,
and I don't want to get into a big argument over it.

So all of us monitor our speech for the sake of a known minority, and not
you yourself?  A minority that always had the ability to just not read a
certain poster's offerings?  A minority that still has this same ability?

The minority IMHO is actually the set of people who can put up with needless
obscenities and flamewars over a long period of time, not the people who
find it distasteful or completely unnecessary.  At any rate, making it into
a minority/majority issue isn't fruitful; we're talking basic common decency
and public behavior here, not liberal interpretations of free speech rights.
Anyone who feels their rights are severely restricted by being asked not to
use obsceneties here is advised to discontinue using this service.  There is
always RTL or other private services for habitual potty mouths.

Man, that's bad...calling it "silly" was the least offensive word choice
that came to mind.  But I'll spare you the indignity of having to read all
these words you already know anyway.

Gee, thanks!

--Todd