 General / 14041
Re: Who oversees the rec.toys.LEGO newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:38:38 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:09:51 GMT, "Tony Kilaras" <kilaras@speedus.com>
wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but what you're saying is going to fall on
deaf ears around here, as you will see with the inane responses that are
sure to follow your post.

I disagree.

But ultimately, I see Todd's rule about foul language here being
analagous to my rule about no smoking in my home.  I may invite people
over to my home to watch a movie, have a few drinks, talk, etc, but
even if I know some of them smoke, they _don't_ smoke in my home.
It's my home - I make the rules.  The people I invite over either
respect that or they leave and don't come back.

It's like that with LUGNET.  This is Todd's place.  He's invited us
here, he wants us all to have a good time, but if he sets a rule like,
"don't stink up my home with your disgusting foul-smelling smoke" or
"don't use foul language" - that's his right, and we (collectively and
individually) can either like it or lump it.

I did my time in the Army.  I can curse with the worst of them, and do
quite often, when it's appropriate.  But like it or not, there are
times when _other_ people dictate when it's appropriate.

I don't give a flip about its impact on kids or other people, to be
honest.  I'm respecting Todd's wishes.  The fact that a
foul-language-free environment might encourage other people who are
more prone to being offended to stick around is just icing, imo.

You or anyone else is free to setup a place like this of your own, and
you can allow or not allow any sort of discussion you want - it'll be
your place.  But lumping those of us who simply choose to respect
Todd's rights as owner to set the rules into the "inane responses"
category mainly just demonstrates your own inability to accept that
other people can disagree with you for perfectly valid reasons.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?