 Off-Topic / Debate / 3968
Re: Who oversees the rec.toys.LEGO newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:15:38 GMT

Peter Callaway wrote:

My original point, which I think you have partially and inadvertently backed
up, is that kids lack the maturity to use profanity wisely.

I have no problem backing this thesis.  It is obviously correct.
However, the way for them to gain that wisdom is to be allowed to
experiment and learn.  If, as an adult, a person doesn't profane because
they have a conditioned fear-of-their-father complex, then I would claim
that they similarly "lack the maturity to use profanity wisely."  Only
when the use of the profanity is a real option, and a person has made
self-realization regarding the propriety, have they gained that wisdom.

To bring it back to a more common
level, a kid screaming "f-bomb off" at the top of his lungs in a classroom
clearly lacks the maturity to use the word appropriately.

I was free to profane at home, and while I was clearly at an immature
development, I never did that to teacher.  I think that when a child
does that, what it reflects is a profound lack of respect within that
child's home.  It is also completely messed up that our society would
force schools to tolerate that.  Were I a teacher, that child would be
out on his ass, never to return.  (If the use of the word ass herein
offends you, you should note that the sentence parses quite nicely if
you decode ass as the quadraped rather than behind.)

I don't think this example is a reason that children shouldn't hear the
'F' word.

You even state that your parents
seem "low class" to you because of their frequent cussing.

For the record, I meant that to be seem_ed_ as in retrospectively.  They
have had a lot of time to change too.  And, when I was about thirteen,
and every other word was 'F' this or 'F' that, my dad pointed out how
illiterate I sounded and a nearly immediate and profound change took
place in the way I expressed myself.

IMO a child who swears reflects an undiciplined upbringing

Really?  Regardless of the level of discipline?  How odd.

and, in a few
cases, a lack of adequate education. This has a ripple effect on a wider range
of social problems. That's just my opinion, but I'm entitled to it. You may
think me hypocritical since I also swear, but it is something that I am
constantly trying to change. There's plenty of time for swearing later in
life, kids shouldn't have to be confronted with it from the get-go.

I don't see this stance as hypocritical, just odd.  You assert that kids
shouldn't be confronted with swearing from early on.  Why?

it
disturbs me when general use of language slips lower and lower into the
gutter, and kindergarden kids are telling their teachers to F-bomb off. Whilst

This disturbs me as well, but hiding that kind of language from kids
isn't going to instill good attitudes.  You are complaining about a very
deep and rich problem in modern society.  The most important problem we
are facing, I think.  And you seem to be suggesting that this simple
little band-aid will fix it.  I think that's absurd.

we can never get it back once we have stepped over the line, we can slow its

I don't agree that such a line exists.  We're just riding the pendulum
and we'll be back this way again.

decline by moderating our own language as much as possible, and Lugnet is as
good a place as any to start.

LUGnet is a great place to do it...because them's the rules.

Chris