 Off-Topic / Debate / 3940
Re: Who oversees the rec.toys.LEGO newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:56:13 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

(On a side note, I moved from the Missouri to New Jersey at the end of
last summer and I've noticed that profanity is much more common here.
Is this an isolated observance, or can others coroborate this?  People
at work will just use the 'F-bomb' casually and repeatedly while on the
phone and stuff.  A couple of men in our lounge were discussing where to
find prostitutes in NYC when I walked in to get a coke out of the
machine.  They didn't stop, pause, change the topic, or anything.  It
blew my mind mostly that it was just no big deal to be openly discussing
such subjects at work.)

HaH?  You got a PROBLEM wid' dat?  You got a freekin' PROBLEM?

I noticed this as well, coming from MI (rather than MO) to NJ.  I occasionally get
looked at funny when I say "excuse me?" when they use profanity freely (but the
elderly have usually complimented me for it).  As far as prostitutes in NYC, I have
*never* heard such conversation anywhere in New Jersey since I've been here--that
particular aspect seems to be your special experience.  Treasure it.  (Or not...)

However, the very best "profanity in NJ" moment was when a small child was wandering
around in Target--obviously a small Anglo child--with his mother, spouting off his
"version" of the Taco Bell Chihuahua line ("Yo quiero Taco Bell").  To spare the
ears of our Spanish-speaking constituents and in good taste, I won't repeat it, but
"quiero" was replaced by the Spanish equivalent of the F-bomb, perhaps we can call
that the "C-bomb." (I like that term, Chris, can I borrow it?)--his mother appeared
totally oblivious to the word's meaning, as did he, but a lot of the shoppers and
employees were Hispanic (or just knew their gutter Spanish, like me) and just
*stared*.

Anyhow, it was a good chuckle for me.  I thought about telling his mother, but then
I thought better of it, because he'd eventually move on.  In retrospect, I probably
should have told her--it would have made a great story to tell when he was 16 and
brought a date home.

best,

Lindsay