 Events / BricksWest / 66
Re: Call for Volunteers (Was: Registration Opens For BricksWest 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:10:23 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Frank Filz writes:
Matthew Gerber wrote:
Unfortunately, with people balking at actually paying to attend an event
of this caliber, who knows if anyone will actually attend the luau,
etc., and without attendance, it may have to be dropped.

I figure it's just that the people balking at the $75 are the only ones with
an incentive to make noise - there are probably plenty of people happy to
fork out the dough who just don't think it's enough of an issue to bother
posting about.

Second, as the schedule continues to fill out it will probably start looking
more cost-effective to those who are still sitting on the fence.

I know we have a lot of gaming already on the schedule, but I think I'd
be interested in moderating or helping with a LEGO gaming panel. We'll
have to drag Steve away from the Pirate Game for a while of course. Mike
Rayhawk, will you be attending?

I'm planning on showing up (but I was thinking about going incognito, to
avoid spending the whole weekend talking gaming!).

Do you think there would be much interest in a Lego gaming panel?  I mean
sure, if we can convince Steve Jackson to serve on the panel, people will
show up just to hear Steve Jackson (which would luckily take a lot of
pressure off of the rest of us).  But I have a feeling that most people's
interest in Lego gaming will be more than satisfied by acting as spectators
or participants in the gaming events already on the schedule.  That's just a
guess so I may be entirely wrong; I'd be happy to help with a gaming panel
if it looks like people are going to be interested in one.

Derek Schin would also be a good panelist. One or two folks who have
had a lot of experience with Brickwars would be good also.

If there are any big BrikWars players out on the West Coast, they've been
keeping real quiet - all the people I'd want to recommend are back East.

In fact I have a nagging worry about the BrikWars slots on the schedule
(i.e., whether there will be enough interested players to sustain a game and
enough experienced players to keep things running smoothly), considering the
relative lack of local enthusiasm compared to the communities local to
Brickfest.

- Mike.