 Events / BricksWest / 28
Re: Registration Opens For BricksWest™ 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:26:50 GMT

:::::IMPORTANT BRICKSWEST INFORMATION:::::

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Mark Sandlin writes:
In article <Gnpqp4.3HD@lugnet.com>,
"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote:

SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

<sarcasm> Hmmm...didn't see THIS coming at all... </sarcasm>

Each paid BricksWest registration includes:
-3 day full access to all BricksWest events, conference sessions, tracks and
talks.

How much does it cost for just this portion?

I'm loathe to break down registration into multiple packages/levels, as we
have certain commitments to our venues and sponsors for attendance levels
and such.

Also, tracking who is allowed to do what and when would be a full time job
during the event, and as a volunteer effort, I don't feel that is fair to
those who will be actually working during BricksWest...if everyone is
accorded the same level of event, no one has to deal with this hassle.

I can't say that this option will/will ever be made available for 2002,
though if enough people are vocal on this issue, I suppose it's something
we'll have to discuss...perhaps for next year, once we see how this first
event comes off.

I probably wouldn't have blinked if it had been as much as 40 or 50, but
$75 is a lot of bones.

I'll provide a rough breakdown of the related costs (i.e. "Where do your
registration dollars go?").

Keep in mind that we are PAYING for our venue...the ballrooms and conference
rooms and hotel services do come at a premium. However, compare the $75.00
cost (and that's for three days of conference, plus LEGOLAND and catered
reception and dinner, plus goodies...it's really only $25.00 per day) with
what you'd pay just to get into the park for a day, and I think you'll find
that the cost is really quite reasonable.

Also, please keep in mind that since there really is no entity called
BricksWest paying for this event (we ae operating as an informal
non-profit), that I personally have guaranteed/signed contracts for venues
and services for the event (i.e. I'm personally liable for all uncovered
costs related to the event...unpaid BricksWest bills come to me in my
name...). Trust me when I say that I would love to charge double or triple
this just to cover my butt.

$30.00   LEGOLAND California-half day pass, exclusive catered reception,
exclusive catered dinner -PLUS- exclusive full-time in-and-out access to
LEGOLAND to assist/play with the Expo layout and displays in the Pavillion

$10.00   Exclusive event shirt-this may actually be as much as $15.50 per
shirt...we're working on this still...final cost will determine actual
dollar amount left for event costs (see next)

$35.00   Event costs-24 hour access to conference and ballrooms to hold
sessions, plus use of tables/chairs/services/etc., event insurance, guest
support, decorations, goodies, printing, advertising, etc.

I hope this information will aid anyone skittish about the $75.00
registration in justifying the cost. Further questions may be posted here,
to me via e-mail at my address or at registration@brickswest.com.

Matt