 Events / BricksWest / 41
Re: Registration Opens For BricksWest™ 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:34:06 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Mark Sandlin writes:
In article <GnqMDo.289@lugnet.com>,
"Paul Thomas" <hs_sounddj@email.msn.com> wrote:

Matt,

   Don't worry about it, the price is great.  Come on people you spend
$75.00 on one set without blinking

Actually, I don't. If something costs more than $50 I wait until it goes
on sale. I typically spend less than $25 a month on LEGO. But I suppose
others spend a lot more than myself.

and you won't spend as much to hang out
with the BEST of the BEST of Lego building.

Hanging out with people costs nothing.

Matt is taking a big risk by putting on this event.

I think charging $75 is a big risk. You risk a lot of people having the
same reaction as myself. And what about people who have a family?
That's $235 for a family of four. :^o

Matt deserves a lot of credit for setting things up, but I think a bit
more thought should have gone into the admission price.

I don't think it can be avoided.  I too found the price steep, but after
thinking about it, I'm a bit surprised it isn't higher.

Unlike a conference, it's not bankrolled by a company.
Unlike a (sci-fi/gaming/whatever) con, it doesn't have a dealer room paying
for half the event, and can't rely on a large fan base. (Even here in the
frozen north, a gaming con can guarantee a couple hundred locals, by word of
mouth alone.  LEGO isn't even as mainstream as gamer geeks.
Unlike something in a larger city, it doesn't have a huge choice of venue.
Carlsbad is a small-to-middling place, and there's only 1 convention-sized
hotel, really.

I've done con organizing.  It's freaking expensive, and *incredably* risky,
especially without a big backer like TSR or whatever they're called these days.

I don't know if I can make it, but if I can, I'll shell $75 without blinking.

James