 Events / BricksWest / 62
Re: Registration Opens For BricksWest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 13:55:26 GMT

Mark wrote:

The gaming event in LA the same weekend is $30 for three days.  It does not
include access to Legoland, T-Shirts, and the like.  There are more hotels,
so competitive rates were obtained.  There's a dealer's room to help pay the
expenses.  $75 is not out of line for a three day convention.

Agreed, it's really not.  $75 for a full blown convention is not bad.
However, I didn't see anything about a dealer's room.  I did see some rather
big name sponsers.  I saw the event list.  Rather repetitious for a three
day event don't cha think?  I've never seen Steve's pirate game, but it must
be really good to take up so much time.

I think you'll find a LOT more activity than is apparent from the
schedule. This is awfully early for a con to be posting a detailed
schedule, and there will be lots of informal gathering (considerably
more than what I am familiar with from SF cons). I assume there will be
plenty of space for folks to display and play with creations.

As far as Evil Stevie's Pirate Game, for those devoted to the game, the
scheduled time may not even be enough (though Derek has already
indicated that he expects the game to run well into the night beyond the
scheduled time). Some of us on the East coast having been tossing ideas
around for a weekend event with the Pirate Game as it's primary focus.

But just because the Pirate Game will take so long doesn't mean it will
dominate the event.

The biggest concern I have from the schedule is that it appears that
there are a limited number of spaces. Of course Brickfest did quite well
in it's first year with only 3 rooms.

As far as your question about a dealer's room. The LEGO hobby has not
quite developed to the point where we can sustain the type of dealer's
rooms I've seen at SF cons. But that doesn't mean there won't be plenty
of opportunity to come home with more LEGO than we went there with, or
come home with less LEGO, or with different LEGO. We will be able to
shop at the Legoland store, which probably has some specials (and if
they are aware of what has been done at Brickfest may even make an
effort to have additional specials because we'll be there). We will be
able to raid the bulk bricks sales at the model shop (hopefully they
will increase at least the quantity and hopefully even the selection, I
hope someone reminds them of the feeding frenzy generated by those
visiting this spring, and remind them that several times as many folks
will be attending). I suspect at least a few folks will bring their
Brickbay inventory, and the first Brickfest did have one "vendor" (who
also had a pretty big door prize drawing). Finally, a lot of folks will
bring stuff to sell or trade.

I need help.  I'm the first to admit it too.  I've never been to Legoland,
or a Brickwest.  Why is this worth $75?  I'm on the fence and I need to see
perks, besides a shirt, that'll make me want to make a five day venture out
of this.

I have mixed feelings about the Legoland portion. It does add
significantly to the cost of registration but also offers some nifty
special opportunities. Of course when I look at what I will spend for
the whole event, an extra $30 or so isn't much of a factor.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com