 Events / BricksWest / 63
Re: Call for Volunteers (Was: Registration Opens For BricksWest 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:09:13 GMT

Matthew Gerber wrote:
Fully paid attendees have clearance to go to the Pavillion and attend/visit
our displays during the weekend, but attendees should not be wandering the
park, riding rides, shopping etc. during this time. The only full park time
is the Sunday event.

I hope actually they will give us reasonable access for shopping during
the whole weekend. They do offer shopping passes normally.

Then you aren't getting it. What are YOU going to put into this event to
make it cool for your friends? We've taken personal time to develop the
framework and big events...the rest will be up to the attendees. I'm feeling
rushed into this, as it's tough enough getting things done without pressure
to do more, but here's a call for volunteers:

This is important for folks to realize. Brickswest will be what WE make
of it. That was what made Brickfest so cool. The first year I jumped up
an volunteered the Pirate Game and they found room for it. This year
they made sure we had our own room (though unfortunately it was off in
the backend of nowhere).

Please take a look at the BricksWest schedule
(http://www.brickswest.com/schedule.html/), look at the open time slots, and
decide if YOU have something special to offer your friends attending
BricksWest. Do people tell you that you take great photographs of your MOCs?
Run a photography workshop! Are you really into sculptures? Share your tips
and tricks! Like to customize minifigs? Hold a roundtable customizing
session with other like-minded folks!

I know we have a lot of gaming already on the schedule, but I think I'd
be interested in moderating or helping with a LEGO gaming panel. We'll
have to drag Steve away from the Pirate Game for a while of course. Mike
Rayhawk, will you be attending? Derek Schin would also be a good
panelist. One or two folks who have had a lot of experience with
Brickwars would be good also.

I hope the above answers help alleviate some worries. Also, I'd like to
point out that public postings like the one I've responded too, while fine
in-an-of-themselves, really only serve to stir up conflict and make our
event look bad. Please, seeing as this is a volunteer effort, be patient
with the organizers...chances are that the answers to your questions are
already forthcoming. Also, we've made the effort to set up several e-mail
addresses for BricksWest...perhaps messages like this might be beter sent
privately to avoid conflict or bad feelings?

I wouldn't worry so much about the public postings. You folks have a lot
to do just to get ready for the event. Public postings allow others of
us to respond and help you sell the event. I think you will have a
successeful event. You've got West coasters who've been watching
Brickfest for two years wondering if a LEGO con will ever come their
way. You've got East coasters who've attended one or two Brickfests and
are ready for more LEGO conning (and some of us applaud the use of paid
space, there are benefits to paid space). You've arranged a three day
event which makes it all the more worthwhile to fly to. You've also
created an event which will have a very different personality from
Brickfest. This is good, it will make more folks want to attend both.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com