 Events / BricksWest / 46
Re: Registration Opens For BricksWest™ 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 01:38:19 GMT

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message

I think charging $75 is a big risk. You risk a lot of people having the
same reaction as myself. And what about people who have a family?
That's $235 for a family of four. :^o

Matt deserves a lot of credit for setting things up, but I think a bit
more thought should have gone into the admission price.

A lot more thought *did* go into the admission price.  Matt had placed phone
calls and emails to several parties who could have contributed to
significantly lower the registration cost.  Those parties have not gotten
back to him despite multiple attempts at contact.  It was either postpone
opening registration in the *hope* he could lower costs, or put it out well
in advance at a cost he's reluctant to charge.  He originally wanted the
registration to be around $40, but he couldn't charge that.

BrickFest in DC essentially has a free venue for the weekend.  Their
connections to GMU give them an incredible deal on space.  For BricksWest,
we have to pay it ourselves.

I've talked to Matt extensively about BW planning.  He knows $75 is steep.
But its what has to be charged at this point in the game.  I'd rather see BW
have a chance of moving forward at a high cost than see the registration
delayed so much we have an incredibly low attendance.

And, in future years, I'm almost sure it will get better.

-Tim