 Events / BricksWest / 60
59  |  61
Subject:
Call for Volunteers (Was: Registration Opens For BricksWest™ 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 03:35:39 GMT

:::::ACTUALL CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS IS BELOW REPLIES:::::

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Mark Neumann writes:

<NOTE: I'm a bit flustered right now over dealing with some of these things,
and it's always hard to make feelings known in type, so if I type something
that comes out wrong, forgive me>

Perks.  What are they?  "half day" in the park?  What exactly does
that mean?

As a group (community event that this was supposed to be...) we are heading
to the park to do everything (rides, shopping, etc.). Since most people will
be attending event modules at the hotel, I'd imagine they won't be spending
a ton of time at the Pavillion, and the trip Sunday will be their chance to
see everything. And then a fully catered reception, and luau. And all for a
mere $30.00...

Let me point this out; we will be wandering all over the
pavillion all weekend long.

If we decide to offer the $30.00 door rate (see my last post), anyone paying
that rate will not be ablt to visit the Pavillion display (unless they have
a park pass, or pay their own way in to the park).

Why do we need a special session for
this on Sunday?

Fully paid attendees have clearance to go to the Pavillion and attend/visit
our displays during the weekend, but attendees should not be wandering the
park, riding rides, shopping etc. during this time. The only full park time
is the Sunday event.

Unfortunately, with people balking a actually paying to attend an event of
this caliber, who knows if anyone will actually attend the luau, etc., and
without attendance, it may have to be dropped.

Schedule.  I checked out the schedule for Brickwest.  Looks mighty
repetetive.  I dare say uninteresting.

Are you volunteering to run an event module, 'cause that's my next
project...fleshing out the schedule with themed events (building mecha, MOC
photography, web-site design, whatever...what's your specialty? What are YOU
going to run?)

I'll be honest here.  And I mention it because I've never done
Brickwest, or any other Lego con, and maybe someone can enlighten me
a little.  I want to wander around the pavillion, look around a bit,
then head out into Legoland.

See above.

I'm willing to take turns manning the
booth, AND in addition to, do whatever the event coordiantor needs
for Brickwest.  Just as long as I get my playtime.  Even if Legoland
provides a big ol table of bricks to play with would be more fun than
sitting in the pavillion all day.

You see, that's what I'm afraid of; we go, put up a table and sit.
And watch, and sit.  Come back tomorrow.  Sit, listen to Ldraw for
the fourth time.  Watch.  Get a short tour and chow, to sit and
listen to some people say, "thanks for coming, here's your shirt."
Not a value at four days of vacation, food, lodging, gas, and $75
privalidge to sit at the pavillion at Legoland.

Then you aren't getting it. What are YOU going to put into this event to
make it cool for your friends? We've taken personal time to develop the
framework and big events...the rest will be up to the attendees. I'm feeling
rushed into this, as it's tough enough getting things done without pressure
to do more, but here's a call for volunteers:

Please take a look at the BricksWest schedule
(http://www.brickswest.com/schedule.html/), look at the open time slots, and
decide if YOU have something special to offer your friends attending
BricksWest. Do people tell you that you take great photographs of your MOCs?
Run a photography workshop! Are you really into sculptures? Share your tips
and tricks! Like to customize minifigs? Hold a roundtable customizing
session with other like-minded folks!

Contact the BricksWest Organizing Comittee via e-mail at
events@brickswest.com to discuss what you can do to help make BricksWest the
best event it can be!

Er, I just read this.  I don't mean to sound harsh.  Sorry if it
does.  It's just that this is an investment of cash and resources,
and I want to make sure I get out of it what I want.

Don't get me wrong.  I would love nothing more than to spend three days
chatting Lego.  I just want more, and with all that's involved, well maybe
CA a little too far, my vacation is too scarce, and $75 is too much for a
1/2 day.

I hope the above answers help alleviate some worries. Also, I'd like to
point out that public postings like the one I've responded too, while fine
in-an-of-themselves, really only serve to stir up conflict and make our
event look bad. Please, seeing as this is a volunteer effort, be patient
with the organizers...chances are that the answers to your questions are
already forthcoming. Also, we've made the effort to set up several e-mail
addresses for BricksWest...perhaps messages like this might be beter sent
privately to avoid conflict or bad feelings?

Matt