Re: Castle World is dead.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:06:31 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Anthony Sava wrote:
I am officially looking into creating an entirely new website, one for the
castle community, not for a museum.  A place where anyone can come in and
share their knowledge for the rest of the group.

On that note:

It was always my feeling that Castle World was doomed from the get-go. It was a
great idea, but having static HTML pages that are editable by 1 or a small group
of admins just won't live forever. Eventually, you'll have to cut through the
swaths of community input, and it'll get to be too much to handle. There are
simply too many people out there with great castle ideas that want to contribute
and showcase their efforts. And having some admin manually enter everything into
a site is much too painstaking.

The key (I've always thought) is having dynamic content. Users who can update
their own things at their own pace. And, for a time back in 2000/2001, I worked
on such a solution; where the site could be maintained by the members of Castle
World, not by some admin.

Unfortunately for me, I found that I didn't (and still don't really) have the
hosting means for such a potentially wide volume of traffic (at least without
paying for it). The idea and code I produced was similar in nature to the
current MOCPages site, with a few more features involved that could associate
creations with each other in various ways (like using maps that could have
associated buildings at designated locations), and in general a little more
complex system of cross-user ownership. Makes me wish I had the time and finance
to designate to that undertaking again.

If Castle World continues to be what it's tried to be in the past, I think it
either needs a group (3+, preferably 5+) of admins who can constantly update the
site, and are cycled as needed, OR a dynamic content site as I mentioned above.
The problem being that any dynamic content site needs to be supported
financially, since, even though *general* webspace is free, server space isn't
(unless someone out there *can* support a site of this nature).

I guess my question to the CW community is: What does Castle World want to be?
Is it merely a glorified "links" page that points to various people's creations?
Is it an interactive system where people's MOC's join together? Is it merely a
group of people who design standards and challenges for castle themed builders?
All of the above? None of them? What does a Castle World admin/committee member
do? What *don't* they do?

Hopefully we won't see a drastic fissure in the castle community. I'd like to
think that there's hope for "Castle World" or whatever it is the castle
community needs.

DaveE