Re: Nominations for the Castle World Committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 03:02:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   I’ve heard more chatter back and forth about what should be done about Isle of Mist or Castle World or whatever, when all of that creative energy could have been spent on building a newer and better site, or, perhaps more happily, doing real-world building with blocks of plastic. Remember those?

I totally agree.

Pawel and I were going to work on this more privately and hopefully impress others with a more fully realized version than what Pawel has presented so far. I intended to report back immediately to this newsgroup with what was going on, but Pawel -- perhaps mistakenly -- thought time was on our side and that we should just keep between ourselves for a short time. I agreed since he was the idea man, and I wanted to see where he was going with CW since he is the founder of the idea in the first place. I’m not biting back at Pawel, I’m just explaining the uncharacteristic (for me) private take on the matter.

I only took over CW because Chris and everyone before him had essentially abandoned it. I asked for it, Chris handed it over. All I have tried to do so far really is preserve the cool stuff that went before -- in a sense a web-based museum of that material. But I have been entirely open to doing something new with it also. At the same time, I didn’t particulalry want to admin the site once I realized what would be involved -- basically a huge time suck. I’m a little annoyed at Chris M’s comments because no one knows more than he does what a burden being CW admin can be -- I would NEVER have even considered doing it the way he was doing it via Geocities. Lastly, I don’t have to **** or get off the pot, the pot isn’t going anywhere despite all the sour grapes. I am committed to creating a system, or hierarchy, of participants that will allow CW to run itself. I merely warn others that being head of your Guild may mean far more, rather than less, work.

I was more an observer than a participant in the original CW, and at the moment I am little more than an archivist. I think CW needed something to make it run by itself, more or less. In the end, it is just a name, a webspace, and this sub-newsgroup -- but that’s all it is.

Sheesh.

-- Hop-Frog