Re: Castle World is dead.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:36:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz wrote some stuff that I deleted.

Um, excuse me, can I say something?  I've been loosely following this discussion
for a while, and I've seen some tense exchanges.  I think Castle World is an
excellent thing for you guys to start up.  I'm usually only .space, and I am a
member of Starship (http://www.valyance.com/starship).  So, I'm probably not "in
tune" with all this castle stuff, but I do know something about clubs and
gaming.  I'll just outline some things that you may or may not want to try, and
some things that are very general but still useful.

First of all, I get the general impression that CW is supposed to be freeform,
fun-oriented system, am I right?  That's great.  Though Starship has a more
defined system of play, I think this approach would work well for a
castle-themed game.  However, if you really wanted to, CW might mirror Starship:
an overall Game Mediator controls travel between "Realms" and individual people
administer individual Realms.  This system doesn't even need a square-grid map.
(I've seen this idea suggested before, and I really liked it.  So I "re-present"
it.)

Second, there needs to be a consensus.  If there are multiple game systems
running simultaneously, potential players will have to choose between them and
most or all of the games *will* die.

Also, even if it is a freeform style game, there needs to be some structure too.
If the mechanics are too vague, some people might be "scared off" and never join
the game.

I love the ideas floating around here.  Keep working on this, but don't delegate
a comittee.  Starship was developed when everybody worked together to finalize
ideas.  People took initiative to call votes and re-votes, present new concepts,
and create temporary websites.  I believe one of our earliest votes was to
decide our "Galactic Mediator" who turned out to be John Henderson.  From there
on, he organized and tallied votes, but he didn't decide anything on his own.
Keep it open to the public, and you'll get a result that all can enjoy.

Contact Hendo (from the Starship website) if you want more information on the
origins of Starship, or if you want fresh ideas on how to build CW.

I am beginning to discover the joy of castle, and I may want to join in the fun
of CW if and when it is opened to the public!

Sorry for such a long post, but I hope I've contributed to this discussion.
Please feel free to comment and criticize.  Always keep presenting new ideas,
but never try to destroy someone else's ideas.  Vote on what you want the game
to be like.  If someone is so upset that they quit, CW may not be the game for
him.  Try to see things from other people's points of view.  Above all, have fun
and keep building!

Andrew Engstrom